By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

You love Facebook and Twitter…because?

KMiDigital

KMiDigital

33Digital
This is for all those businesses out there who find the current crop of business social networking sites, such as, LinkedIn, ecademy and a host of others just too damn difficult to use.

Click here for more

Eagle

Eagle

I don't think they're too difficult to use - they're just far, far too convoluted. Simplicity is key which is why business forums and twitter work very well.

Gordon N

Gordon N

I can't see how 'Twitter' and 'difficult to use' can ever be used in the same sentence (unless used as Eagle did above :) ). It is impossible to over complicate typing a sentence and hitting send??? And with the amount of Twitter client applications increasing (and improving) all the time it's even easier!

At the end of the day it works for some people and not for others, if you don't like it - don't use it! :p

I am beginning to think that these comparison articles are starting to get used as link bait ;)

Tim Barlow

Tim Barlow

Sorry but I'm loving Linked In at the moment for the same reason I love facebook.

Facebook - great way to keep up with friends with minimal effort
Linked In - great way to keep up with professional contacts with minimal effort.

Twitter - not loving it yet but liking it for forcing me to be brief.

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Sorry but I'm loving Linked In at the moment for the same reason I love facebook.

Facebook - great way to keep up with friends with minimal effort
Linked In - great way to keep up with professional contacts with minimal effort.

Twitter - not loving it yet but liking it for forcing me to be brief.

Great answer there Tim....I have been struggling with Facebook as a business tool for a wee while...but do appreciate the value of having presence there.

Gordon

aviemorebusiness

aviemorebusiness

Having spent the last 2 to 3 months getting us all social media'd up I can honestly understand why people hate all of them! however, I can without doubt say that they have directly resulted in increased traffic to our website, increased sales (minimal at the moment but getting better) and networking contacts that I might not otherwise have come across.

One simple tool that I use probably 3 or 4 times a day just to make sure my profile info is up to date and relevant is an application call Ping which you link to your LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, etc etc the list keeps growing on a weekly basis, and you just write your 140 characters i.e. katie is currently posting on Scottish Business Forums, press the ping button and wooosh that updates all the profiles you had put online. Ok so it may seem like a short cut too far, but the one golden rule about social media is that it is up to date and people can see that you are actively using it, this makes that possible.

Anyone else using it? Or any other tools that make your life easier? I am always open to tools to make things easy!

aviemorebusiness

aviemorebusiness

Having spent the last 2 to 3 months getting us all social media'd up I can honestly understand why people hate all of them! however, I can without doubt say that they have directly resulted in increased traffic to our website and blog, increased sales (minimal at the moment but getting better) and networking contacts that I might not otherwise have come across.

One simple tool that I use probably 3 or 4 times a day just to make sure my profile info is up to date and relevant is an application call Ping which you link to your LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, etc etc the list keeps growing on a weekly basis, and you just write your 140 characters i.e. katie is currently posting on Scottish Business Forums, press the ping button and wooosh that updates all the profiles you had put online. Ok so it may seem like a short cut too far, but the one golden rule about social media is that it is up to date and people can see that you are actively using it, this makes that possible.

Anyone else using it? Or any other tools that make your life easier? I am always open to tools to make things easy!

D

dmuir

Ive joined these but not made much effort so maybe time to start

Gutsy

Gutsy

Facebook's business pages are quite good I think. They're certainly very visible to search engines. I've received business (confirmed) through my Facebook business page. Not so much my personal page ...

D

DickW

I use Facebook at a personal level because the chat can be fun and it helps me keep in touch with my dispersed family....... Linked-In is interesting for who turns up and wants to connect to me..... I joined Twitter but then promptly forgot I'd done it !!!!!

Tim Barlow

Tim Barlow

Just started using it too - quite like it

For me the biggest step change in my use of social media has been getting an iPhone. Ideal for a quick comments whilst pottering from one place to another.

Enjoying Twitter more and more as time goes by.

looby

I personally love using Twitter, and LinkedIn to a lesser degree so far, even if it's simply because the girls at Virtuo are nosy and want to know what everyone else is tweeting about!

I didn't know there was such a thing as a Facebook Business page though. How do you sign up for those? Do you have to have a personal Facebook profile first? I'll never get Lynda on there! She leaves the Tweetin' up to me!

Stevie

PennyPR

I think it's great the way it all interconnects. Tweetdeck makes Twitter & Facebook easy to post to, and tweets often develop into ideas for blogs, which I've put on part of my website home page to keep things together. And I discovered I can get my blog posts coming up on my Linked-in profile. And blog posts can be the basis of handy e-newsletter items. Just need to get the time to add my social media buttons and I'll be away! It's the sum total of lots of channels working for you that keeps nudging you up the radar in people's minds and helps create an open door when someone needs your services.

M

Marion

I've been on Twitter for a few months now and enjoy the daily banter.
I can't say it's been hugely useful for my business, a few website hits.

Where I have had some good feedback is from a Twibe I founded

SCOTTISHCRAFTS Twibe - SCOTTISHCRAFTS Twitter Users

My url is on the home page and I get quite a few links from that.

The twibe itself seems to generate some interest with ex pats as well as locals and I'd like to see it grow so that maybe it will form a link between Scottish makers and buyers sourcing Scottish crafts.

Tim Barlow

Tim Barlow

Where I have had some good feedback is from a Twibe I founded

Sounds like the ground for a new thread Marion. Fancy doing a quick how to for us?

(Yes I am feeling lazy this morning!)

Adventurelife

Adventurelife

Facebook I do not use much, but just been contacted from someone who I last seen 17 years ago which made my day. All my old army contacts are spread around the world as they often settle in other countries after their service and facebook is given me a whole list of places to visit to catch up with old mates.