By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

When Did Your Idea Become Reality?

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

In my time, I have had the idea for countless numbers of businesses that have never actually turned into anything. With the business I currently (finally) run, there was a moment that I realised, after sending out a form for people I've met in the industry in the past to fill in, and I noticed that there is something that I could provide that they would be willing to pay for.

This is something that I could work with, so I decided to just go for it. With every other idea there has always been something wrong to mean that it just wouldn't ever have worked.

Did you have a moment where you truly realised that you could do it?

justDAJ

justDAJ

Gemma

What is your business? You never seem to directly mention it (or maybe I have missed it)

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma

What is your business? You never seem to directly mention it (or maybe I have missed it)

I have written about my business a few times - we're an editing company. Mostly novels but to be honest we'll edit anything as we have staff who are comfortable with all kinds of things.

justDAJ

justDAJ

Ok, was just curious. I hadn't seen any mention of it in recent chats -- but I am relatively new here.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Ok, was just curious. I hadn't seen any mention of it in recent chats -- but I am relatively new here.

No worries!

It is not, however, my DREAM business. I do enjoy it very much, but my dream business would actually be a self sufficient charity providing support to people who have to spend long periods of time in hospital. I'm currently thinking about how I could set that up so you'll probably see a lot of questions about it soon haha!!

P

Pete Brindle

Ours was an idea we came up with one night in the pub. We were talking about the sad lack of musical education in the immediate locality, and, all of us being musical (we met at college) were sure we could do something about it if we had the money. The drinks flowed, we talked about it, and realised that if we all clubbed together we WOULD have enough money to do it. The next day when we woke up, one of my friends called me and said 'were you being serious last night?' and once he reminded me what I'd said, I said go for it! Let's do it!

I usually miss the 'drunk and couldn't remember the conversation' part out when any of the parents asked how we started, though.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Ours was an idea we came up with one night in the pub. We were talking about the sad lack of musical education in the immediate locality, and, all of us being musical (we met at college) were sure we could do something about it if we had the money. The drinks flowed, we talked about it, and realised that if we all clubbed together we WOULD have enough money to do it. The next day when we woke up, one of my friends called me and said 'were you being serious last night?' and once he reminded me what I'd said, I said go for it! Let's do it!

I usually miss the 'drunk and couldn't remember the conversation' part out when any of the parents asked how we started, though.

Yeah, I'd leave that off your adverts ha ha. Brilliant that you managed to do it, though!

R

Robert Frost

Mine started when the property came up that i'd seen and been in many times in my past - it's local to me and where my folks still live, so as it was going and "we" had the money we bought it, refurbished it, and now getting close to being ready to Open

P

Pete Brindle

Mine started when the property came up that i'd seen and been in many times in my past - it's local to me and where my folks still live, so as it was going and "we" had the money we bought it, refurbished it, and now getting close to being ready to Open

That sounds great, you must be really excited. It's amazing when things work out like this, I bet there are points in the past where you would never have thought that you could have got as far as you have, so your achievements are certainly something to celebrate!

M

Mike Turner

I was unaware that I was going to do it almost until the day I bought the business, which was a little bit surreal. One day I was a member of staff, the next I was the owner. Well not that fast obviously, but not all that far off either! The owner was selling up, and I had come into some money. He made a joke saying 'if you had any money you could buy it' not knowing that just a few months earlier I had done just that. So that was a very interesting time but I'm glad it happened like that because I would never have had the courage to start my own business otherwise.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I was unaware that I was going to do it almost until the day I bought the business, which was a little bit surreal. One day I was a member of staff, the next I was the owner. Well not that fast obviously, but not all that far off either! The owner was selling up, and I had come into some money. He made a joke saying 'if you had any money you could buy it' not knowing that just a few months earlier I had done just that. So that was a very interesting time but I'm glad it happened like that because I would never have had the courage to start my own business otherwise.

Maybe that's the best way to go about it though because you might not have done it if you'd had the chance to stop and think about all of the difficulties you might have to deal with. I know that was a big thing when I was thinking about my business and it took A LOT of courage to eventually do what I did and set up on my own. Looking back I wonder how I did it at all.

P

Pete Brindle

I was sort of thrown into it as well, but in another way. My friends and I, who set up the business together, were all talk in the pub and suddenly one of them just said we HAVE to do this, and things started moving forward from there. There were definitely times when I just thought we were plain crazy for even attempting it, but in the end I am SO glad that we have managed to do it.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I was sort of thrown into it as well, but in another way. My friends and I, who set up the business together, were all talk in the pub and suddenly one of them just said we HAVE to do this, and things started moving forward from there. There were definitely times when I just thought we were plain crazy for even attempting it, but in the end I am SO glad that we have managed to do it.

To be fair, I think every business owner has to be a little bit crazy, or we'd never get anywhere with it. Sometimes I have panic attacks thinking about just how much rests on my shoulders, especially when I think about the number of people who would lose their jobs if I were to lose control of things, but I focus on doing the work that I enjoy doing, and simply come to the conclusion that I am okay, and will get through it. And, like you, I am very glad that I have managed to do what I've done, as it's what I had always dreamed of but never really thought could be a reality.

M

Mike Turner

We are crazy, but it's a good kind of crazy, and looking at everyone's posts on here it does kind of look as though we're being successful as well. To anyone who's reading this thinking they can't do it: you SO can. If us crazy bunch can, you definitely can!

L

Lauren Turner

I have always been a creative type of person, and love nothing more than sitting while I'm watching television or listening to music to be making arts and crafts at the same time. I would always give them as gifts, and people would make comments saying that I could sell them. So once, I decided that I would make a stall at a coffee morning to sell some of the overflow items that I had made, and the majority of them sold. So then I booked more tables, and started making things specifically to sell, which was great. Now I find that people who I worked for in the past come back to me to order more stock, and I love that as I'm always busy now and can pay the bills from something that I love to do!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I have always been a creative type of person, and love nothing more than sitting while I'm watching television or listening to music to be making arts and crafts at the same time. I would always give them as gifts, and people would make comments saying that I could sell them. So once, I decided that I would make a stall at a coffee morning to sell some of the overflow items that I had made, and the majority of them sold. So then I booked more tables, and started making things specifically to sell, which was great. Now I find that people who I worked for in the past come back to me to order more stock, and I love that as I'm always busy now and can pay the bills from something that I love to do!

That's everyone's idea of a dream, isn't it. Paying the bills doing what you know and love, rather than being stuck in a job that you have to go to or you'd risk falling behind on your rent. It's definitely good that you've managed to do this, and I only hope that you will be able to continue making the most of your clear gift in the future! Also I bet a lot of people gain plenty from what you're able to make for them, because it will make them smile :).

P

Pete Brindle

Would you say that you worked full time or part time from this, then? If you have a hobby that you can make money out of it's great if you can get enough work to be able to fill your entire day, so that's great.

M

Mike Turner

And I love having all of your crafty things all over the floor, your paper shredder and laminator making a noise during the football.. etc! In all seriousness I'm very proud of you - and I find it works well for us to have you at home but also earning. And you do have your outside interests as well which helps!

selfemployed

selfemployed

Hi Gemma, in the current environment I think your idea of helping people who have been in hospital for a long time would attract a lot of government funding. There is a need to keep as many people out of hospital as possible and helping those who have spent some time in hospital might ensure they do not return quickly. It is as much practical assistance as a friendly face to beat those lonely days which is required in the UK - Scotland also has a population which is aging quicker than the rest of the UK hence the need for workers from overseas and why the SNP is more sympathic in this area.

Twinflower

Twinflower

Mine started when the property came up that i'd seen and been in many times in my past