By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Have You Ever Had Success With Newspaper Advertising?

Zarostulus

I've been told to try paying for an ad in my local paper, but I'm a little apprehensive. Will I really see anything from this? It just feels so... old fashioned?

Has anyone here has success from this?

Allegrif

Allegrif

It depends what you're doing. If you sell physical products I wouldn't recommend it, but it's actually quite good for web designers. You tend to find that many older business owners who aren't very tech savvy still check in physical advertising space for someone to help them.

Zarostulus

It depends what you're doing. If you sell physical products I wouldn't recommend it, but it's actually quite good for web designers. You tend to find that many older business owners who aren't very tech savvy still check in physical advertising space for someone to help them.
That's what I've been told before, but I'm honestly struggling now to think of anyone who doesn't have at least some access to the internet. Even the older generation are becoming silver surfers!

C

cruzo

What about if I am selling furniture. Does it worth to use newspaper for advertising?

C

cruzo

That is very well said, I think online advertising that's what I will stick to

Needhelp

Needhelp

I have tried this on numerous occasions and had no success whatsoever. I am sure there must be a knack to this which I have yet to master!

Businessman

Businessman

Newspaper advertising was always tricky, even back in the days when most people actually read newspapers!

Small ads rarely have much by way of effect... Once upon a time certain papers carried a 'business to business' section of these. Even back in the mid-late 80s that was considered 'old hat' and a bit of a throwaway.

Display ads are a kind of 'baseline useful' in terms of getting your branding into the back of people's minds. To be effective you need to be running them for a minimum of about 18 months, they need to be of good quality and in a good regular position, and they need to be a part (rather than the pivot) of a cohesive cross-media campaign.

Wills

Wills

When people are actually looking for you then yes, if you are hoping to catch someone’s attention then it’s more difficult. I used to advertise in the local weekly paper and since my audience was reading the paper I had regular enquiries and bookings, fast forward 10yrs and the papers circulation has dropped so much the opportunities have gone yes the plumber, electrician and painters still find work especially from those who don’t use technology. No doubt this replicates in the nationals, dwindling readers and low circulation numbers but it is selective maybe it is still valuable for some businesses.

Who else on the forum has first hand experience?

selfemployed

selfemployed

There is a time and a place for newspaper advertising but on its own I think there are better advertising options. Maybe mixing newspaper advertising and online exposure with that company might work. The only area I can really think of for newspaper advertising is cut out and use coupons.

G

Goingitalone

I have been tempted into newspaper advertising on various occassions, has it worked? No!

Never again lol

Needhelp

Needhelp

What about local focused newspaper marketing - worked for anyone?

barry100

barry100

my very first client came from the local newspaper but that was in 2002.

mr-matt

mr-matt

Nice

R

Rodney

Online advertising is where its at, PPC and social media really. Depends on the services you're communicating via the newspaper. I tend to associate newspapers with pensioners these days, younger generation doesnt read them. And pensioners rarely have access to the internet. So would avoid promoting any internet related services or internet-required services in a newspaper.

jonas.cuervo

jonas.cuervo

Have you tried advertising your business using social media? These days, I think, it's the best option.

Okdar

Okdar

That is very well said, I think online advertising that's what I will stick to