By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Best Avoided Practices

PeterHoggan

PeterHoggan

How many times do you use "we" on your home page?

Never - Excellent, you most likely have a benefit driven customer focused page
1 - Sometimes It Can’t be avoided
2 - Careful how you go there
3 - Getting to the extremes of acceptable
4 - You have succeed in creating a page all about you that ignores your customers needs and wants
5 - Visitors are starting to feel seriously alienated
6 - Congratulations you have created the perfect company centric page, visitors will stick around for hours reading all about you and your processes… NOT
7 – Bounce rate going through the roof
9 - Phones stop ringing e-mail enquiries dry up
10 – You decide your products/services are incompatible with the internet and place a full page add in the yellow pages.

If you got this far why not go the whole hog; Stick a headline at the top of the page that says “Welcome to our website” and at the foot of the page add “so why not give us a call?” There’s nothing like asking people why they shouldn’t call you to get them to call you!!!!

PeterHoggan

PeterHoggan

I really wouldn’t know but from comments on another thread in which you clearly stated you had given up on your website as first contact one can only assume that the resounding success you are enjoying is being achieved despite your website not because of it.

Perhaps your work is of such high standard you are flooded with referrals, perhaps your offline marketing is perfectly tuned to your target customer or perhaps your e-mail campaign actually gets read. Whatever it is you are doing, you are doing it right... Well done that man and keep it up!

Fades out to the sound of "You are my hero"

PeterHoggan

PeterHoggan

My original post was written after I read my own home page. Isn’t it strange when you go back to something you have written in the past you see all the little faux paus that you missed at the time of writing.

Do "we're"s and our's's count too? ;)

It would probably have been more accurate for me to say (in my other post) that it's not how we expect people to find us.... But with that said things like leaflets, calendars, beer mats (yes! really!) ...the spare wheel cover on the back of the 4X4; All simply have the logo and TFGtv.com as the brand.... No 'phone number...

Nothing that can't be taken-in in an instant. Today, we had three emails from potential new customers who simply saw the car travelling up and down the M8 earlier in the week...

So THESE things are designed to drive traffic to this dreadful web site of mine... The one with no less than 8 'wees' on the home page...

Thing is; by the time someone comes hunting for a company like mine, they don't actually need to be sold the idea of having a corporate video made. No more than someone who's car has just ground to a red-light-flashing-grinding halt needs to be sold the idea that they need the services of a mechanic...

They're looking for someone with the right skills and experience to do the job properly.... And who offers exactly the services they're in need of, at the price they can afford...

Typically, new clients will already have some experience of corporate video. P.R. and marketing people will know the range of services they want. More 'advanced' self-marketers will already know what they want achieve and what they want to emulate... Others will have found out the hard way how NOT to go about using video....

A BIG mistake many people make in this industry is to try to sell to people who are still possessed of the 'corner shop mentality'... i.e. those who don't appreciate the difference between something hand-drawn on the back of a piece of cardboard and a professionally sign-written notice...

SOME businesses need to attract attention from people who already KNOW what it is they need to buy.... The agents who sell 'Snap-On' tools for instance go straight to professional mechanics, occasionally doing the odd well-informed and well-heeled enthusiast a favour...

Snap-on: Hand Tools, Power Tools, Tool Boxes, Automotive Diagnostics and Shop Equipment

...doesn't tell you a heck of a lot about what their products will do for you. For the simple reason that if you don't know already you won't benefit from them....

Eastwood Company: Auto Tools, Body Repair, Classic Car Restoration, Paint Guns, Powder Coating, Soda Blasters, Fender Rollers

These guys take a different tack... They have to; because they're not selling primarily to the professional market.

Experience (23 years of it!) tells me that the cost/benefit ratio of trying to educate people about the benefits of using professional corporate video is outweighed by the cost/benefit of recruiting customers from those that already know they need a high quality product... And that they need to buy in the skills and experience to achieve that....

My main point here is that there's no 'one size fits all', 'ready salted' solution when it comes to marketing...

Yes; I'll put effort into educating people as to the benefits of the service I provide. But I'll do that in another context. For if I were to try that on the clients who are already 'savvy' (and pretty much ready to buy) I'd wind up patronising and driving them away.....

PeterHoggan

PeterHoggan

Thing is; by the time someone comes hunting for a company like mine, they don't actually need to be sold the idea of having a corporate video made.

In a situation like this pull marketing tactics are generally considered much more effective than push. Called pull marketing because the prospective customer is actively seeking information about your services or pulling information towards him.

Traditional push channels i.e. press, TV and radio are finding it increasingly difficult to survive as more and more advertising spend is diverted to the web which is undoubtedly the single most popular means of 'pulling' information. The reason is simple, in the same way that someone who picks up the yellow pages to find a plumber probably needs plumbing services, anyone typing key words relevant to your business into a search engine probably need your corporate video services. Rather than the traditional organisation-to-many approach to marketing where the organisation instigates the communication the consumer now instigates the communication.

I can’t speak for Paul, but I think the point he is trying to make is that you begin with an explanation of the push tactics you are using to successfully drive traffic to your website, beer mats, calendars etc. However you quickly move on to talk about the benefits of pull marketing tactics which stand in complete counterpoint to what you are actually practicing, that is, using push tactics to drive customers to your site. That isn’t to say that I think there is anything wrong in the way you promote your website only that your post was, for me anyway, a confusing mashup of disparate tactics.

<Sigh> I see where you're 'coming from'....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

"generally considered" by who exactly? As I've suggested many times in many different posts there is no 'majic spell' when it comes to marketing a business....

In the terms you suggest, why 100% "push"?

Because there are some games where the only winning move is not to play at all....

My website is of no more significance to my marketing strategy than the six-page A4 brochure I used to drop as a response anchor back in 1988!

NOBODY finds my website by typing in keywords. In SEO terms it's a non-starter! Although I could cite various terms where it pops up in the first 5 results on google; it just doesn't matter.... I REALLY just couldn't give a flying fart! Mad as a box of spaniels but makes a bloody good video!

BECAUSE in my opinion (again I've posted extensively on this elsewhere) the search engines are currently running very noisy camshafts and dodgy big ends!

People come to me because they need a video made. And through various efforts I'm remembered...

Balshy. Two Baftas. Dirt cheap. Big on things like proper qualifications. Doesn't suffer fools. Works for the SQA.... etc etc etc...

The only keywords people type in to find me are either my own name or my company name.... Which is easy to remember.... Easy as... what was it??? Abc? no... BBC :lol: No (tweed) jacket ..net EFG?? Nope Tfg... THAT was it!!! As easy as TFG! TFGtv!

Why 100% push? :D:D:D

Who's that bloody lunatic? You know? the slightly barmy bloke with the battered old Porsche? That mentalist that filmed the Lady Di Stuff? The nutter with the daft watches that aye waves a Mont Blanc pen about?

It's not 100% "push".... It's just 100% "there"; right under your nose...

Tell me; how many people 'Dyson' the carpet?

In its most general aspect, counterpoint involves the writing of musical lines that sound very different and move independently from each other but sound harmonious when played simultaneously...

Baroque music, which makes great use of counterpoint, at firsts sound strange, yet is also hypnotic; drawing the listener in with it's complex of harmony....

(sorry; cock up on the posting front :001_tt2:) Bit of a balls up on how the above reads; but can't alter it now....)

Why 100% push? Because when everyone who is inside the box is pulling when you're thinking outside the box the best thing to do is keep the competition contained in that cube...:001_tt2:

PeterHoggan

PeterHoggan

The great thing about the English language is that words can have different meanings depending on the context in which they are used. Had I been talking about Led Zeppelin’s Cashmere where John Bonham uses a different timescale to other band members during parts of the song, then yes, your definition of counterpoint in this instance would be correct. However, we are not talking about Cashmere, Giovanni or Così fan tutte, the context is marketing and my usage of the term in my opinion, and that of my dictionary, is 100% correct.

Noun Music. the art of combining melodies.
Verb (used with object) to emphasize or clarify by contrast or juxtaposition

You are content to have a website that can only be found by people who know your company name, but there are other business owners and shareholders who place greater value on the internet as a marketing channel and who are looking for both heightened visibility and increased profitability. I agree, there is no one size fits all marketing strategy therefore a strategy that works for you might spell disaster for others.

I am not suggesting any term, Push and Pull marketing are well defined and long standing marketing strategies and generally considered effective when used in the right context by us marketing types.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear... :001_smile: "Us marketing types"? :001_smile: Which particular type of marketing type would that be then Peter? Puleeze don't make the mistake of assuming that I am either inexperienced or unqualified in, or unacquainted with marketing theory...

Or that I particularly struggle with the English language... I'm dyslexic; which means I struggle deciphering the words on a page or a screen, doesn't mean I'm stupid or uneducated or need help looking up the meaning of things... My grammar may not be what it ought to be, and somewhat ideosyncratic, but you will find I'm reasonably adept at constructing a cogent argument...

As I said; there was a bit of a balls up with the post; and I couldn't edit it to read correctly; and at nearly 1:30 in the morning...:crying:

YOU are the one who, in the first place, used the word "counterpoint" to suggest confusion and disharmony. I merely highlighted what the principal ACTUALLY meant. I suggest that if you are unable to engage with the abstract of a concept that a) a dictionary definition is unlikely to help and b) perhaps it's best to refrain from drawing on such abstracts in the first place...

As you said, you can't speak for Paul, but much as I suspect you're correct in your interpretation of what he wrote you evidently missed my point; I was being deliberately non-responsive to the rather glib use of a piece of (what I personally regard as near-Orwellian) 'marketingspeak' as a cant.

For the benefit of the audience....

Classically, as it's taught (by people like me as it happens) in colleges push marketing involves developing your own marketing message and quite literally pushing it on your customers. 'Build it and they will come' if you like... So instead of finding out exactly what your customers want, you decide on your message and do everything you can to convince people they will like it.

Pull marketing activities on the other hand encourage your prospect to seek you out and find out whether you have something of value to offer them.

Now; in discussion with students, music industry colleagues is Is becoming quite apparent that the nature of pull marketing is changing. Back in 1991 when I did my HN marketing course, we were given examples of things like 'BOGOF' offers and discount coupons as examples of 'pull' marketing; even Yellow Pages! Though I had an axe to grind against that one :001_smile:)

Today, that would be seen as an at-best-naive definition. And it's true to say that today it is very much more about giving potential clients reasons to pull us to them rather than them to us...

There's a certain irony in the fact that push marketing is being used to evangelise the myth of its own demise..... from:

Pull marketing strategies for small businesses.

Repeat after me. No one cares about you. Start adding value for your customers and they will come. Lead with the clients goals, concerns and values. Pull marketing is all about building brand authority, influence and visibility to achieve business goals. This method gets people to seek you out, and find you simply because you have demonstrated experience in the field that you operate within and added additional value.

Ironically; as actual business values I'd agree with much of what he's written here; But merely as a marketing pitch? Which is where we seem to be going here... Glibilization at it's worst! But then that does seem to be the 'new' religion....

And ye verily, I say unto thee that thine 12-sheets shall turn to dust and though ye walk through the valley of the local shopping mall no backlit posters shall ye see, no vinyl wraps shall embrace thine taxi and on no mats shall thy beer drippteth. The lawdy Stone almightly himself shall smite ye should Twitter ye not. And dare ye sink to the depths of page four on Google, darkness shall forever be thine fate...

On the other hand you could just say "shove that for a gemme o' soldiers" and try knocking on doors and talking to folk... Maybe a bit of networking. All terribly old fashioned of course... But....:thumbup:

in the same way that someone who picks up the yellow pages to find a plumber probably needs plumbing services, anyone typing key words relevant to your business into a search engine probably need your corporate video services.

The last place to look for a decent Plumber (or anything else for that matter) is the Yellow Pages... Or, increasingly, a search engine...

We've often slated Yellow Pages and indeed their online presence as being largely ineffective. That they are in the sorry state they are today has much to do with the internet it's true. But as far back as 20 years ago I was dropping our display advertising from YP; and not just because the pushy sales techniques they used left me feeling 'violated'.

Fact is, at one point YP was saturated with display ads. To the point where the directory had degenerated into such a mess that it was hard work to glean exactly what features and benefits were on offer from any particular company. 'Marketing types' who evangelised the use of directories would typically advise ever-bigger or multiple display ads. That and/or the adoption of trading styles contrived to appear at the very top of listings....

These days, when the Yellow Pages is dropped off at our building, the stack of them remains mostly rooted to the spot it was dropped on. Unwanted and untouched it's only value is the amusement to be drawn by watching it morph into a papier mache model of 'Cousin Itt'.

A glance through the 08/09 Edinburgh directory still reveals such gems as 'AAAAAA City Tyres' and 'AAAAAA A8 24hr Gas and Plumbing Services'. But despite the garish display adverts you would STILL struggle to find a local plumber to deal with a burst pipe. Which, if you can cast your mind back 20-something years, is the very issue that the once scrawny, now positively anorexic "Thomson Local" directories developed their USP from...

Paper (or for that matter online) directories don't really work because the people who PUSH them have done so heavily to the point where the actual function of the directory is compromised. Sound familiar?

Now it's actually not the case that my website can "only be found by people who know my company name". People find their way to me (which is the important bit) through various channels. The website merely being one of them. Fair enough; others may rely more heavily on their sites and may therefore seek this "heightened visibility and increased profitability" (surely a push statement if ever there was one? :eek:hmy: ) Such was also the case 'back in the day' when people were reliant on their YP listings.... And could be 'sold on' ever bigger ever more extreme and increasingly less effective display campaigns...

your post was, for me anyway, a confusing mashup of disparate tactics.

:001_rolleyes: Yes; I see that now. Not that what I've written actually is the confusion mashup of disparate tactics you interpreted it as. But, like counterpoint harmony, some people will only ever be able to focus on part of the tune....

My Granny Hated Led Zep... :thumbup::thumbup:

PeterHoggan

PeterHoggan

I do read every word you write and although I do not agree with everything you say I am not going to bring up who I am, how many years experience i have, what I have done in the past or my qualifications in order to drown you out or as leverage to prove a point.

Hey I do understand the principles of polysemy, concept and context.

For me its stuff like your Dyson comment that I find confusing. Before Dyson entered the vacuum cleaner market a vacuum cleaner was a vacuum cleaner was a vacuum cleaner. The market was tired, almost commoditised, and comparison shopping was done almost entirely on price. Yet the Dyson cleaner with its striking looks and superior performance changed that. Sure we don’t Dyson our carpets but I bet any vacuum cleaner manufacturer wished they had even one tenth of Dyson’s dominant market share. Nope, we definitely don’t Dyson our carpets but we do buy Dyson vacuum cleaners more than any other so that we can indeed 'Hoover' them.

I guess a lot of people hated Led Zeppelin because they were loud long haired anti social types; same as people hated Elvis when he came along, but stuff evolves, gets superseded and canceled out. For many companies, including my own, a whole new paradigm in the shape social media beckons, yet this is an area where best practices are yet to be established. As traditional marketing continues to be marginalized we are actually seeing clients coming to us who have never seen our website, clients who have been following us on twitter for example. There is no definitive resource or academic training available for this stuff; these are indeed exciting times for those involved.

I fear things have changed Matt, the old concepts of command and control marketing are quickly giving way to facilitative marketing, this is where I am, this is the marketing type I am.

P

PaulWood

Matt, Sorry that you could not make sense of my last post perhaps in hindsight it was a bit cryptic. Just assumed because I was on a marketing forum you would understand. I am a SEO newbie but I know a bit about marketing. I am finding it difficult to piece together the random snippets you put together in your posts which are often contradictory and the references to your site, is that what we are discussing here?

Peter, you were spot on with your assessment of why I asked the question. Matt, your response has still pretty much left me in the dark as to what you mean.

I do read every word you write and although I do not agree with everything you say I am not going to bring up who I am, how many years experience i have, what I have done in the past or my qualifications in order to drown you out or as leverage to prove a point.

:001_smile: Really? Can't imagine why that should be.

Well I'll explain this simply for you Peter. I interpreted your comments as an attempt to gain leverage/prove your point by patronising me. Gently inferring that I didn't quite understand the term (counterpoint) that you had used. And that I didn't understand a very basic marketing concept...

Your qualifications and experience should really lead to a little more finesse... I don't claim to be a marketing expert, but I have spent a long time in a marketing-related field. Have been in business a long time, and am not entirely untrained or unqualified in the subject...

For me its stuff like your Dyson comment that I find confusing.

Yet you clearly ALMOST get it.... As you rightly identify the reasons why it's so odd that we don't 'Dyson' the carpets....

Hoover's current products, in fact Hoover's product line for in excess of 25 years, have been grossly inferior to the competition. BY RIGHTS we SHOULD be 'DYSONING' the carpet... And in fact if you encounter either a Dyson engineer, their support staff or indeed their marketing people they ARE very keen to distance themselves from 'The Hoover'. And even half-jokingly float that notion that we should 'Dyson' our floors.....

Yet we STILL 'Hoover' the carpet... and some people STILL pay extra money for what is a grossly over-priced under performing brand.... After ALL this time? Familiarity shifts product!

I think you also (possibly deliberately?) rather missed the point about my Gran. She just couldn't HEAR (I don't mean physically) what was musical about Led Zep, particularly the track you cite.

For many companies, including my own, a whole new paradigm in the shape social media beckons, yet this is an area where best practices are yet to be established.

That's perfectly reasonable; clearly there is opportunity here. If you feel you have the expertise it's a worthwhile thing to explore. But as you say, best practices are yet to be established. Yet so often the notion is pushed that here is the 'way the truth and the light'.....

As traditional marketing continues to be marginalized we are actually seeing clients coming to us who have never seen our website, clients who have been following us on twitter for example. There is no definitive resource or academic training available for this stuff; these are indeed exciting times for those involved.

"As traditional marketing continues to be marginalised"? That's a very 'broad' statement; and again I'll cite the irony that the alleged replacements are so heavily push marketed and often by really very traditional means. Your opening post Peter was a very transparent example of a (it has to be said rather glib, and it seems ill-founded) message being 'pushed' upon the audience....

You'll know of the WW1 poster featuring the woman and children gazing wistfully out a window at the troops marching off to war? the legend, "Women of Britain say Go"? Nice bit of emotional blackmail there... Sewing the seeds of doubt to present the message and the call to action lies in the resolution presented within the message.... GO! Don't sit at home Go! In this case go, and possibly have the lungs dissolved in your chest with mustard gas or the limbs blown from your body as it's pawned up the line...

Needless guilt is a very effective 'push'. And almost a century after that campaign ran it's deadly effective course we see the very same strings being tugged as part of the 'new' wave...:001_rolleyes:

Certainly, many traditional marketing channels are being marginalised not particularly though displacement but because they're dying. Platforms such as T.V., Radio and Print (for some sectors at least) are dying because of mis-management and complacency on the part of their owners. Through their own greed and exploitative practices platform owners have abused the goodwill of, and 'frozen out' the audience... Cut the throat of the Golden Goose if you like....

I fear things have changed Matt, the old concepts of command and control marketing are quickly giving way to facilitative marketing, this is where I am, this is the marketing type I am.

Ah! so now you're no longer "we marketing types", as in the 'universal marketeer', but a particular marketing type.... Which actually makes more sense. Whether your 'fears' are well founded Peter is essentially a question of scale. Facilitative marketing is nothing that hasn't been taking place for generations, particularly in the B2B sector.

Although I would agree that 'Command and Control' as a concept is one that would hopefully fall, it seems alive and well both in the social media message and the implementation of many campaigns that utilise that family of platforms. Indeed, it can be argued that the Twitter phenomena is itself a good example of Command-And-Control marketing...

Paul, as I'm fairly sure you realise, there is absolutely NOTHING contradictory or "random" about what I've written. It's really a very cheap shot to try and suggest otherwise. And I believe I've explained EXACTLY why I responded to you as I did...

Anyone with the will to join the dots should be able to do so easily. However, I've absolutely no doubt that what I've written is quite 'sacrilegious' and just doesn't suit the pro-SEO, pro-twitter brigade. And for that reason I fully EXPECT to be subject to this sort of rather lame attempt to discredit what I've written.