By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Are referral cards out of date

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I am finalising the design of my SBF business cards. I was planning on having a referral card on one side where an existing member puts in their username etc before passing the cards on to their friends and colleagues etc.

I was then planning on offering a prize be it monthly or quarterly for the top referrer. What do you all think? Does this come accross as too needy or do you think they could work? If I gave you some cards would you be willing to pass them on? Does the prize give extra incentive?

Looking forward to your comments :)

Brian McIntosh

I would be happy to pass on cards . I've never had a referral card from anyone that I can think of but I wouldn't need any incentive to hand any out. I was on holiday last year and Microsoft were having a conference about something to do with Vista and they had Vista Evangelists wandering about spreading the word. MAybe you need some SBF Evangelists?

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian McIntosh

But don't they have pointless meetings where you are supposed to "network" and give each other all your business? Having been to a SBF meeting, nothing could be further from the truth. Anyway, handing out an SBF card with my own wouldn't be any great stress.

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

I wouldn't need any incentive either, , as I believe SBF is a genuinely useful resource for Scottish businesses and am glad to promote it among my colleagues. :)

I second that...what this forum will be, is an important part/tool in a companies "toolbox" to help them deliver their services, support their business and develop the skills/knowledge. It will "refer" itself.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

So are we saying there is no point putting the referral bit on the back? Would it be better just to put some bullet points of what SBF is all about?

Brian McIntosh

Bullet points would be the way I would go . I often hand out cards to small business owners and with a referral name on the back they might think along the lines of BNI, etc. I think, on the back, just put what the forum is about.

jimbairn

jimbairn

Don't get me started on BNI. Or rather, buy me a couple of drinks, wind me up and then DO get me started on BNI...

I'd also go with the bullet points. I'm happy to refer people here without anything that whiffs of "recruitment drives" or "incentives". Just buy me a drink if/when we every meet up.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

OK Folks. How about the attached? Do you think this captures SBF?

:)

Attachments

• SBF-businesscard.pdf
    226.3 KB · Views: 14
abs

abs

I think it's very good , would be proud to hand them out.

Theresia

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Thanks Alison :)

Your points are very valid and I will probably take these on board and change accorodingly. Gordon gave me a few pointers as well so a big thank you to him as well :)

johnthesearcher

johnthesearcher

OK .....I'm in.

I think the referral card idea, handed out by a willing band of 'volunteers' is an excellent vehicle to actively promote SBF to our current and future business colleagues.

To echo Jim's point re: BNI. I got invited to one BNI chapter meeting by a business colleague and I lasted about 10 minutes then made my excuses and bolted for the nearest door.

I apologise for mentioning the BNI and SBF in the same thread ....there is no comparison.

From what I have seen so far I believe the SBF will be around for many years....long after current BNI members have come to their senses and moved on to a more professional and effective networking group.....Enter the SBF.

John

p.s send me millions of cards.

D

davidc

Great idea. Leave no stone unturned. If you don't mind sending them to Spain, I'll hand them out here. Give you an international angle....

jimbairn

jimbairn

To echo Jim's point re: BNI. I got invited to one BNI chapter meeting by a business colleague and I lasted about 10 minutes then made my excuses and bolted for the nearest door.

I apologise for mentioning the BNI and SBF in the same thread ....there is no comparison.

They (BNI that is... not SBF) seem to be on a recruiting drive. I got a call from an American lady today wanting to know if I was interested in joining any of the local chapters. When I told her that I'd been to several as a guest and it had mostly been a complete waste of time there was long silence before she said "I'll take you off the mailing list, shall I?"

Yes, please....

johnthesearcher

johnthesearcher

They (BNI that is... not SBF) seem to be on a recruiting drive. I got a call from an American lady today wanting to know if I was interested in joining any of the local chapters. When I told her that I'd been to several as a guest and it had mostly been a complete waste of time there was long silence before she said "I'll take you off the mailing list, shall I?"

Yes, please....
Nice one Jim

Just another 'chapter' in the demise of the BNI.

Your measured response to her call and her obvious shock that someone could have a negative opinion on her 'high five' team will hopefully give them (BNI) some food for thought.

I feel that regular contact with SBF members will help you to rebuild your confidence after having been removed from her mailing list.

John

RMC

I'd say that the quality of the advice, and the chat in general will drive people to the site, and more importantly - keep them coming back.

- what about trying to get in touch with recruiters? New people in jobs tend to be enthusiastic, and they need advice, so they'd be likely to check this site out......

Robin.