By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Would you give up your passwords for chocolate?

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

An interesting article on Web User has revealed that 45% of women and 10% of men would give up theri passwords for a bar of chocolate!

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/251950.html?aff=rss

The article is pretty amazing is it also goes on to say many repondents also gace personal details away in return for being entered in to prize draw.

Makes you think huh :rolleyes:

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I'm always amazed how many people tell me pin numbers and passwords etc, half the time they dont even realise they were doing it!

I remember a month or so ago I was over at my wife's brothers. For some really strange reason he had forgotten his logon to his laptop. I managed to guess it on the second attempt just from picking up from past conversations.

I'm very mindful of personal information having been a victim to identity fraud last year which was an absolute nightmare. If anything it highlights how easy it must be for fraudsters to gain personal information.

S

stressmom

I would never even think to give away those words for chocolate! It would have to be something a lot more lucrative than that! And thanks for the continued reminders that there are bad people out there who are just waiting to get their hands on your personal info- I have to talk to my elderly parents about this all of the time!

TomB

TomB

There are so many chancers out there that would try their luck at it.

Its amazing what you give away when you don't realise it, i read about hackers taking temp jobs at firms and basically standing round the water cooler and asking personal questions in attempts to guess peoples passwords.

Scary world!!!

ahop23

and now I hear that you should never use the computers in public access areas such as libraries or even places where you use the local wi-fi signal. Is this true?

I would never even think to give away those words for chocolate! It would have to be something a lot more lucrative than that! And thanks for the continued reminders that there are bad people out there who are just waiting to get their hands on your personal info- I have to talk to my elderly parents about this all of the time!

It's very easy to get sucked in....

Yesterday I got an email through asking me to complete a shopping/lifestyle survey.... Win a year's free shopping at Asda it said.... "Asda" thinks I, "hmmm, seems legit if they're involved"...

The 'survey' opened with me being asked to fill in my full name, address, postcode, FULL date of birth....

Needless to say it just got shut down... I smelled a rat and didn't fill it it....

But I wonder how many people just filled int hat ID fraud toolkit without thinking about it?

TomB

TomB

i hate those surveys,

only 10 minutes and you could win blah blah blah,

three hours later your sitting their thinking god is this really worth it . . :D