By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Will apprenticeships be the only way to go soon?

Ryan

I've been thinking, with thousands of youngsters going for the same qualifications/degrees - will there eventually be all these people with qualifications but no experience, therefore no job?

I can't remember exact figures, but I read somewhere that for youngsters who go to college to study common qualifications (such as hairdressing, babycare etc),roughly a quarter of them end up getting a job in that field - which obviously is horrendous as around half don't go into work in that field because there's not enough jobs going around. This is a massive figure considering the fact some people go to college just to stack up on qualifications.

So it raises the important question. Are apprenticeships going to end up being the only way for youngsters to go? I'm 18, this is my 2nd academic year since I've left school, and so many of my mates have quit college and sixth form and now looking for an apprenticeship.

It makes me so glad that I got one when I did, as I'm now earning full-time wage and have a secure job!

I

Ian Wincote...

It seems the way to go. When I leave school I will definitely consider it!

Jamie

Jamie

I think the low money instantly puts people off. But to be honest, so many kids are unemployed, £2.60 an hour is better that £0 an hour eh!?

Britannia Apprenticeship

Britannia Apprenticeship

Apprenticeships have started to become very important for employment for the younger generation. As you said Jamie that the low money can be a major turn off but remember it might only be £2.60 for a while and at the same time your be gaining experience which is a very important factor in gaining employment today. And £2.60 is the minimum wage, alot of employers tend to pay much higher than £2.60.

Britannia Apprenticeship

Britannia Apprenticeship

Just think after your apprenticeship is over, your be getting a lot more money and more experience also means your more employable hence more money.

Ryan

I started on minimum wage, my friends are jumping on the apprenticeship bandwagon, and are bagging themselves apprenticeship that pay a couple of hundred a week! Crazy stuff!