By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

When Do You Work The Best?

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

For those of you who are work from home and able to choose your own working hours, when do you think you work the best? Personally, I like to get everything done first thing in the morning. By that I mean at about 6am before breakfast, then I have something to eat at about 9am and have the whole day ahead of me, work being done already.

What about you? I know people tend to work better in the evening, but I've never personally found myself to be like that at all!

P

Pete Brindle

In the evening, for sure. Which suits me fine actually because a lot of the kids come to us for lessons after school, so evening is when we're at our busiest other than the weekends.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

In the evening, for sure. Which suits me fine actually because a lot of the kids come to us for lessons after school, so evening is when we're at our busiest other than the weekends.

We're pretty much like the complete opposites of each other! I can't work in the evenings at all. Evenings are when I exercise or chill out (more the latter than the former most of the time, lol).

saltire

saltire

I'm an evening person as well. I seem to get a burst of energy around 9pm that allows me to typically work until past midnight.

I'm not really a morning person though :p

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I'm an evening person as well. I seem to get a burst of energy around 9pm that allows me to typically work until past midnight.

I'm not really a morning person though :p

I wish I was like that. I can count so many times I've been forced to work through the night to meet a tight deadline and my brain turns to complete mush!

P

Pete Brindle

I wish I was like that. I can count so many times I've been forced to work through the night to meet a tight deadline and my brain turns to complete mush!

I'm working through the night tonight, preparing end of term reports which need to be completely finished by Monday which is when our last week of lessons is before our summer break. I do this every year and, of course, I'm on here procrastinating and chatting to you guys instead of actually getting any report writing done!

L

Lauren Turner

I don't really have certain times where I work better than others, to be honest with you. My job is quite creative, and that means I just have to work whenever the mood takes me! It normally works out that I manage to get enough done, though, so it is all good really!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I don't really have certain times where I work better than others, to be honest with you. My job is quite creative, and that means I just have to work whenever the mood takes me! It normally works out that I manage to get enough done, though, so it is all good really!

When I'm writing my own work I'm similar to you. You can't force that creative vibe out if it's not there, so you just have to wait for it. I find that there are things that can help, including listening to music and exercising, I usually find that I get some inspiration then. Or I will read a book and see what other people are writing about!

M

Mike Turner

I like working very early in the morning, which suits some of my clients as it means that they're able to bring their vehicles in and then have them ready in time to be able to go to work. Very small jobs only, of course. And it also makes the working day longer, so I can fit more things into it.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I like working very early in the morning, which suits some of my clients as it means that they're able to bring their vehicles in and then have them ready in time to be able to go to work. Very small jobs only, of course. And it also makes the working day longer, so I can fit more things into it.

It's good that your working preferences are beneficial to you at least :). And I can imagine that a mechanic able to do things first thing would be very handy, especially for the people who need their car and work full time.

P

Pete Brindle

We're pretty much like the complete opposites of each other! I can't work in the evenings at all. Evenings are when I exercise or chill out (more the latter than the former most of the time, lol).

I like to go for a run first thing in the morning to get me ready for the day, and also run lots of errands to make sure I'm all done by the time I have to start work at around 2pm. We work 2pm until 8pm weekdays and then all day Saturday and Sunday so I don't get days off at all most of the time, other than during school holidays.

Michelle Gregory

Michelle Gregory

I like to go for a run first thing in the morning to get me ready for the day, and also run lots of errands to make sure I'm all done by the time I have to start work at around 2pm. We work 2pm until 8pm weekdays and then all day Saturday and Sunday so I don't get days off at all most of the time, other than during school holidays.
I like to fit a run in before starting work too! Other dyes I like to get straight to work once I've dropped my daughter off to the childminders. Then when my head needs a break I will run errands and get back to work . Evenings don't work for me as my brain is mush by then.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I like to fit a run in before starting work too! Other dyes I like to get straight to work once I've dropped my daughter off to the childminders. Then when my head needs a break I will run errands and get back to work . Evenings don't work for me as my brain is mush by then.

I wish I was like you. Exercise is one of the things that I tend to put off to the extent that it just never gets done at all! It's a shame, but luckily I've sorted out my comfort eating recently, so at the very least I'm not piling the weight on as I would have done in the past!

M

Mike Turner

I wish I was like you. Exercise is one of the things that I tend to put off to the extent that it just never gets done at all! It's a shame, but luckily I've sorted out my comfort eating recently, so at the very least I'm not piling the weight on as I would have done in the past!

You really should, because it makes you so much more alert, awake and productive for the rest of the way. I just love it. You'd think it would make you tired, but it genuinely gives you more energy!

MapleTree

MapleTree

I'm definitely a morning worker. I like to get it all out of the way so that I have the rest of the day to do as I please.

poliq

poliq

All is well
Thanks for the A2A!

Friend - What are you doing?

Me - I am working.

Friend - It is a Sunday!

Me - Yeah! I have some work to be completed.

This is exactly how my friends look surprised when I say that I am working on a Sunday. It feels absolutely nice to do something which I like. Money does not motivate me though it is still an essential component. Power? Nope. It happens with time. The designation on your visiting card does not make you one. The tag “CA” in front of your name does not really make you a CA[at least on social media]. It is the passion towards the subject.

Money motivates till you get your needs fulfilled. Power motivates you till you achieve X position. What can really motivate you is the interest in the area of work.

Clocking 8 hours in my office was never really my motive. I have sat overnight to complete my work. I feel that the day is incomplete if I have not worked at least for an hour. Weekends are not what I ask for and weekdays are not to be stressed up.

Happy working!

Peace.

KilaMila

KilaMila

My most productive time is from 8:00 to 18:00.
During this time I can work quietly if nothing and nobody distracts me)

W

WilbP

Gemma, it sounds amazing. I can't wake up earlier than 10 am... Trying to change it, but it's so hard. So the best hours for me is about 15-18 pm