By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

What online services/webapps do you use?

Gordon N

Gordon N

Whilst going through my ever so frustrating twitter feed (too many good links and suggestions to follow, not enough time!) I noticed a number of web applications being discussed and compared. Namely Basecamp from 37Signals who launched a re-designed version of the application today. I then went on to read a freelancers tips blog post that said to avoid such applications until such time as you can't live without them.

Having come from running a web design and development business I have looked at a huge number of web based applications over the years, both free and premium and have even settled into a couple of them for a few months at a time. The majority of these have been either project management or accounts related although I've played with CRM, ToDo Lists, helpdesks and all sorts of others - always looking for the app that might streamline and simplify my workflow.

I am keen to find out which webapps and services you may have come to rely on, have found useful or even ones that you have tried but disliked. We'll take Google Apps as a given on this one as most people have come into contact with it at some point and I would be surprised if less than half of us in the forums don't use it on a regular basis.

I am currently on a pretty clean slate as I am in the process of spawning a gentle freelance business (whilst working for 'the man' in a non web job!) and I thought it would be nice to see a community tested list of apps. The only one I am using fairly regularly just now is Trello which is a quite relaxed project management app (free) that utilises a board and cards concept to keep things tracked.

Right this post is long enough already so I'll shut and open the floor... :)

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I'd have to vote for Xero as well :p

Dropbox is another one of my favourites as well as ToodleDo and Evernote. What all these things have is both browser and app based offerings. I can access all these from the browser and also my iPhone and iPad and I think these are key to why I adopt them.

I'm also a big fan of Hootsuite and I use the premium version every day in the browser and on the iPad (not really a big fan of it on the iPhone).

I'm beginning to use and love Skype more and more every day and for entertainment stuff I use the Sky Go app which works a treat on my iPad and allows me to watch the footie wherever I am :)

That's probably my top apps covered.

Lets hear what others have to say :)

stugster

stugster

I wasn't a fan of DropBox until showed me it properly and how we could just seamlessly integrate our files together without faffing about with sending them back and forward via email.

LogMeIn is absolutely amazing. We pay for the Central service - which allows us to add clients onto it so they can remotely connect to their computers too. It also lets us group computers by client. I would be lost without it, and our response times would be much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shredder

I use hammerkit.com for my website. A very interesting company in my opinion.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hammerkit does look really interesting :) Is this free? I couldn't find any pricing details on their site.

Essentially as I read it it allows you to get a site going as quickly as possible. Is that a fair appraisal or have I missed something?

Care to share an example of what you've done with it? What is it you find that's so useful? :)

aviemorebusiness

aviemorebusiness

Thought I might as well add my 2p into the mix. Someone has mentioned Hootsuite, I couldnt do my job without this and it is absolutely worth the money for the pro version and I try to encourage customers to use it too so we can all integrate with each other and not duplicate.

is just about to introduce me to Xero so it is good to hear everyone talking so hightly about it. I am interested to hear thoughts on Windows Skydrive as I am considering getting a Windows phone and it all seems to work smoothly as far as I can tell, so if anyone can shed any light that would be good.

We currently use Google docs and have done for many years now so I think I am going to struggle to move over as we have so much stored up in that cloud! A company that we sub contract for has recently recommended http://www.worketc.com/ - again I would be interested to hear if anyone is using it?

Katie

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shredder

Hammerkit does look really interesting :) Is this free? I couldn't find any pricing details on their site.

Essentially as I read it it allows you to get a site going as quickly as possible. Is that a fair appraisal or have I missed something?

Care to share an example of what you've done with it? What is it you find that's so useful? :)

Their key feature is repeatable web sites. My own website was a very simple 3 page brochure site, we are currently doing a redesign and are having the usual debates about content etc. In the meantime wanted to be able to make a few changes to the text after a new partner joined us. Hammerkit recreated our site, they did this very quickly, and I can now make any changes I want, previously I would have had to contact the designer to make even the smallest change.

When you log on to the hammerkit system you can hit a replicate button and then make changes to the copy when your happy with it you activate it and it's live. For our redesign I have used hammerkit to create the new site, its not live yet, and then used the replicate function to try different layouts etc. I can then view the designs in any browser including on iPad etc and see the effects of changes immediately.

A design agency using the system can effectively create their own templates and push out a site very quickly.

Not sure of the current pricing but I think it's free initially and then charges apply when you make a site live.

I'll get in touch with them and see if I can persuade them to join the forum and explain more. I'm sure they will explain better than I can.