By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

What accounting software do you use?

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

This subject interest me as my own background is in accountancy. What accountancy software do people use for their business?

Do most people stick with Sage or Quickbooks or do most prefer to do it on their own using spreadsheets etc.

Love to hear your views :p

Brian McIntosh

I use a spreadsheet then give everything to my accountant when he asks for it. Strangely enough I got the spreadsheet from you a few years back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I cant believe you still use that spreadsheet! How cool is that. Does the accountant like the way it's all laid out etc? I designed that when I was about 18, given what I now know about Excel I would probably do it all a different way now :)

stugster

stugster

I've been using www.KashFlow.co.uk for about 5 months, but due to the way it doesn't easily allow for certain reporting (I didn't understand the Nominal Codes etc.),I've moved to Sage Instant Accounts Plus.

When I say "I've moved", I've played with it, migrated my accounts and all that rubbish - but I'm not actually going to start using it until next Fiscal year (just for simplicity's sake).

But yeh, Sage is amazing - just don't expect to be able to pick it up and know it. I spent a good two days learning it through the User Guide and trial-and-error.

PC

PC

Quickbooks for me because I was lead to believe that it could integrate with Outllook (save all that typing) but I have noticed that Microsoft are now doing FREE and PAID accounting packages that can import your data from other packages.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Boxby

I use 2, for two seperate businesses.

I use MYOB for hubby's business, as it's basic and simple and quick and easy, and hubby's accounts are dead straight forward, no debtors, creditors or stock.

However, Boxby is a different kettle of fish, as we need to do self invoicing for suppliers. That eliminated all of the usual suspects. I didn't want to go to the full Sage Line 50 etc, and am not a big fan of sage anyway. I have ended up with a Sage subsidary - Pastel Express, which although doesn't give me that warm happy feeling so far, does at least do all that I want it to do without it costing an arm and a leg. Still, after I've migrated the last years transactions onto it, i'm sure that familiarity will mean we get on a lot better!

Kind regards
Sandra

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I've got to say Pastel Express is a new one on me. Never heard of it!

Richard - What exactly is it you dont want to type? Theres loads of technology out there that can automate many different parts of your accounts. I'll happily talk you through what's available if you think it would be beneficial.

Thnaks for all the posts folks and if anybody does need any help with accounting systems etc please feel free to drop me a PM. It's one think i'm not to bad at :p

stugster

stugster

You can export your contacts from Outlook as an excel file. If my memory serves me correctly, QuickBooks allows import of .xls files for almost anything :)

DavidN

Use a spreadsheet like Snapper and my accountant never seems to have an issue with it. I'd love to see the spreadsheet you designed just to see how different it is. Any chance of a copy ;)

T

Terry

We use kashflow as well. The accountant deals with it all the time so he is happy to prepare the yearly accounts through the data kashflow spits out. The automated yearly and monthly auto email invoice feature has been really handy for us.

sandra

sandra

I really need to get myself sorted in this area. I'd be grateful if I could see you spreadsheet as well . I will also have a look at Kashflow. I will need something that is fairly easy to use.

Sandra - Wedding Favours

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Sandra,

Not a problem, I will PM you a copy now. Feel free to contact me should you need any help.

David - I'm sorry I never picked this up earlier. I'll send you a copy too! :)

TomB

TomB

Hey all,

I use Microsoft Accounting Express 2008. I have to say once you get your head round it and basic accounting its actually really good.

It works on a similar basis to sage line 50, but with slightly different terminology.

I am a fan of Sage though, i did two years of an accounting and finance degree and we did computerised accounting systems based on sage line 50 v6 and it was so easy to use.

But its so expensive to buy!!!

So what is everybody's financial year then? I did mine to go with the tax year so I've just finished my 1st financial year!!

Tom

RMC

An important consideration to consider is the 'already installed' user base.

This isn't an issue when things are running smoothly, but can be an issue if problems occur. A piece of software can be the best in the world, but if the support isn't there at times of crisis - it's less than ideal.

This is important to consider, as such software can quickly become critical to the business, especially if large amounts of transactions are being processed regularly.

Just my two cents worth.....

Robin

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

An important consideration to consider is the 'already installed' user base.

This isn't an issue when things are running smoothly, but can be an issue if problems occur. A piece of software can be the best in the world, but if the support isn't there at times of crisis - it's less than ideal.

This is important to consider, as such software can quickly become critical to the business, especially if large amounts of transactions are being processed regularly.

Just my two cents worth.....

Robin

That's a very good point Robin....

I have a background in Accountacy and I have designed several "tools" in Access and Excel both for myself and for a few friends and small businesses.

The problem for them (and some I already haven't seen for years) is that if we lose contact or go under a bus, they have no support in place to back them up.

And of course your financial information in a business is crucial and should be backed up as regualary and your computer data and of course you would have in place good support for your PC's, just as you should have for you financial data/software.

Regards

Gordon
PLC

G

GarryHeavens

Quickbooks is the best accounting software that i have used. i am an accountant and have used Peachtree but went back to Quickbooks.

this software seems to me to have the people in mind that are not really up to date on all aspects of accounting. after you set up your accounts(it tells you how) then when you write a check it will post to the correct account. if you don't write your checks on the computer then you just post the checks and they will go to the correct account.

I would suggest QuickBooks because it is more customizable and its reporting functions are much more powerful.

For those with less computer competency I would recommend MYOB Accounting Plus because it is easier to set up and entry of transactions is pretty straight forward. Probably harder to make mistakes than in QuickBooks. Premier is exactly the same except it allows more than one person to be in the data file at once.