By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Telephone Preference Service

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

TPS Registration

How many people have actually joined up to this as a consumer? Do you think it actually helps at all or has it had no effect?

I had a call yesterday from a foreign call centre and when I told them I was on the TPS they couldn't care and continued to try and push the sale. Is it just me or is the TPS a waste of time?

Brian McIntosh

I registered a couple of years ago and the level of calls I get has fallen dramatically. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had a sales call.

TomB

TomB

I'm registered for my home and mobile as a consumer.

It was working but lately i have been getting really agressive sales calls from companies. I spent 5 minutes arguing with a stupid sales guy that i didn't want a free mobile phone. Of course when i asked where he got my number he hung up.

It was a foreign call centre.

• Then the next day i had a guy telling me he could save me hundreds of pounds on my mortgage.
  • I said no thank you,
  • He said why not i can save you money.
  • I said i don't want it and i am certainly not going to trust some cold sales call with my personal details, so kindly remove me from your list.
  • he said why
  • i said where did you get my details
  • he hung up

I mean why do they think that threatening sales calls are going to make me purchase.

Maybe i should complain to TPS, doubt it would do any good, but you never know.

T

Amber

Amber

We're in the TPS for both the business and home lines and it does make a difference... A couple of months ago I forgot to renew the registration for the business line, and we did notice an increase in the number of calls.

That said, as says, foreign call centres (which is where the majority of the calls seem to come from some days) really couldn't care less, and often haven't even heard of the TPS when I mention it to them. And now we keep on getting these stupid recorded messages calling us - aargh!

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually stop them, ask them to clarify where they're calling from, then tell them the number's registered with the TPS and that I intend lodging a complaint. Then I just hang up....

It does seem to make a difference, though many DO just try to blag their way through anyway.... When faced with the "but why" line from salesman my response usually goes along the lines of 'well you were dishonest enough to break the law in the first place by calling me, that makes you shady, and I don't do business with crooks'....

Idea15

Idea15

When we registered the calls stopped almost completely. We still get the occasional news that we've won a timeshare in Florida, but that's about it.

I started to receive overseas calls for my business after I joined a Chamber of Commerce - I assume they sell membership details - and so I was getting lots of calls for IT outsourcing. Using the broken record "no" technique has stopped these calls almost entirely. They do have "idiot lists" and the fewer words you use to get yourself off them, the better.

When I was in the maternity ward the Bounty woman came around two days in a row trying to get me to sign up for their Di$ney marketing lists - it was as if they would not take no for an answer and couldn't understand why I wouldn't join. You absolutely have to be on your toes all the time when it comes to marketing list monsters - even when you'd rather have your feet up!

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I didn't expect so many people to say it actually works, certainly not my experience. I tried searching today to see how many companies have been prosecuted or fined for ignoring the tps service. I couldn't actually find any :confused:

Maybe I should put the last call down to a bad experience and hope it was just a one off.

Brian McIntosh

Maybe using foreign companies is a way to get round the fact that you are TPS registered. I think you've just been unlucky . Next time, find out where they are based and we'll get the boys sent round.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this conversation before somewhere quite recently.... But the technique demonstrated by that cute brunette in the teabag advert might be an option.... :)

I have a small stuffed camel which, when you press its paw sings "Any Dream Will Do" all the way through (don't ask:p; ) simply place the handset on the camel's lap, press the paw and..... :D

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

TPS Only applies to companies in the UK...if someone trys to contact you from abroad and you tell them you will complain to TPS, it won't make any difference.

I too registered with TPS and got a dramatic decline with my teatime telephone calls....but only from UK call centres.

Regards

Gordon
PLC