By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Smoking Ban now 2 years old

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I read today that the smoking ban has now been in place in Scotland for two years to the day. Do people think this has been a positive step forward? I also hear that they intend to raise the age for buying cigarettes to 18. Again do you think this is a good idea?

Brian

I agree with all the points above although I think the jury is still out interms of assessing what impact it has on the licensed trade. I believe there are stats from Ireland that show a positive impact from year 3 of the ban. It's maybe not fair to base it purely on Ireland but I would hope that the lincensed trade embraces the change and starts to make places more welcoming for families etc.

Boxby

I was very pleased to see this introduced, and enjoy being out and about in public places far more than I used to (except the bit where you have to take a deep breath and run through the smokers standing at the doors!)

I believe the industry that has sufferered the most is not the licensing one, but Bingo. Apparently the bingo games themselves are not the profit generators, it's the cash games that they play during the intervals. Now all the old dears are stood outside smoking and not playing the cash games, bingo halls all over are closing!

S

stressmom

I love the fact that more places are going smoke free. I am in the united States and there are many cities which are experimenting with these types of laws but our tobacco farmers are all up in arms over the situation. But as a non smoker I am glad to see it and encourage more cities to stand up and do the same.

I was very pleased to see this introduced, and enjoy being out and about in public places far more than I used to (except the bit where you have to take a deep breath and run through the smokers standing at the doors!)

I think it's made the streets around some pubs far more intimidating places. There's a pub on the main street in the village where I live. I've never been into it simply because years ago (long before I came to live here) I was told it was a right ned's hang-out and was best avoided. Since the ban the main street past a certain point at night is just a complete no-go zone..... :(

Talking to a colleague the other night who happens to live right across the road from it he was saying how hard it was to either sell the house or get tenants to move into it; 'nae wunner' I thought to myself...:(

On the other hand it means that many places no longer stink of smoke and, I suppose if you spend an evening in one of them neither do you the next morning.

Overall I think it's a positive thing...

TomB

TomB

I have to say i was pleased about the smoking ban as well, it was the final push i needed to quit smoking and i have done ever since.

I quit the week after the ban started and am proud to say I am still a non-smoker.

Only thing i don't like is the smell in the pub now, smelly people, b o stale beer.

You have to admit at least smoking covered that up!!

stugster

stugster

As an asthmatic it's been a godsend! Absolutely fantastic to be able to go out and have a drink with friends without feeling like my lungs are about to be spewed up :D

On the other hand... now all I can smell is the B.O. from all the sweaty people!

Brian McIntosh

So we'll all have to remember the deodorant at the meetup!

As an ex heavy smoker, I'm happier going into pubs without the smell of smoke trying to entice me to spark up.