By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Scottish Independence - How Do Small Businesses Feel?

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Last week saw the publication of the SNP's Independence blueprint.

As well as making the case for independence, the White Paper also set out a series of policy pledges which the SNP said it would pursue if elected as the government of an independent Scotland.

These included:

• Thirty hours of childcare per week in term time for all three and four-year-olds, as well as vulnerable two-year-olds.
  • Trident nuclear weapons, currently based on the Clyde, removed within the first parliament.
  • Housing benefit reforms, described by critics as the "bedroom tax", to be abolished, and a halt to the rollout of Universal Credit.
  • It would be in Scotland's interest to keep the pound, while the Bank of England would continue as "lender of last resort".
  • BBC Scotland replaced at the start of 2017 with a new Scottish broadcasting service, continuing a formal relationship with the rest of the BBC.
  • Basic rate tax allowances and tax credits to rise at least in line with inflation.
  • A safe, "triple-locked" pension system.
  • Minimum wage to "rise alongside the cost of living".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-25088251

How do you think independence will affect your small business?

Do you think differently with your small business hat on compared to you as an individual?

R

Robert Frost

Really not sure how i feel about this. I've read this paper and the other one and it just seems to be confusing me. I want to keep the pound I really don't want the Euro (although I will probably accept Euros in the business as I hope to attract visitors from abroad) the minimum wage rise could put some out of business, although obviously sounds like a good idea but I really don't think it would be advantageous

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I have had a lot of mixed thoughts, but would like to think that because we source most of our clients online it won't really matter to them whether we're based in an independent country or not. Of course, if a switch is made to the Euro there is a chance that we might lose out because of exchange rates, but that's something I will think about when I come to it.

R

Robert Frost

I've had more thinking on this, and I'm sorry to say that I've moved to the No camp - I watched the debate the other day and Alex Salmond just didn't convince me that he has a plan, or knows what is best for Scotland.

E

eeyorebob

I disagree Robert - I'm firmly yes and am staying that way. I think we need this

saltire

saltire

I'm probably edging towards no as well. I seen the debate as well and didn't think Mr Salmond came across that well.

I do think the currency debate is a scare tactic but it will probably work in that they will get a No vote.

I think having more powers and more fiscal responsibility is the way to go.

R

Robert Frost

I agree about the currency. I don't know how that would or could work, yes currently we use the pound and it is scottish pound, but really it is the British pound, so if we leave GB how can we use the GBP? I don't want the euro!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

After watching the debates and reading a lot, I am pushing towards the "no" vote. But I am not say that's my absolute definite stance at the moment, there is still time for me to change my mind.

M

Mike Turner

I genuinely don't think it is going to have that much of an effect on us. We turn over a good profit, and unless independent Scotland is banned from having cars, I don't see that there is anything that could hurt us to such an extent that it would majorly damage the business. Of course I may well be eating my words this time next year but we'll see. All we can do now is wait.