By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Next Windows OS due in 2010

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Next Windows OS due in 2010 - Web User News

Many people are only just finding their feet with Vista and alot of people are also still using XP. Microsoft have recently said the next operating system will be launched in 2010. What a great way to milk money out of people launching a totally new OS every few years :mad:

Next Windows OS due in 2010 - Web User News

Many people are only just finding their feet with Vista and alot of people are also still using XP. Microsoft have recently said the next operating system will be launched in 2010. What a great way to milk money out of people launching a totally new OS every few years :mad:

Quite so... And if folk are daft enough to buy into it....

I don't recall a single release of Windows working right out of the box. It's a great scam; actually get people to pay you to do your R&D for you....

As O.S.s go were stuck with it to some extent since it's 'common ground', but if you can achieve what you need to achieve using an older O.S. why get sucked in?

We only moved to XP because the version of Premiere required to handle HD needs it. If I could avoid it I'd avoid upgrading altogether ...In fact our CCTV server still runs under Win 98!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian McIntosh

I went from Win 98 to XP and, because everything is working Ok and running smoothly, I'll be sticking with what I have until it dies. There are people who will always want the latest technology or, like you Matt, have to upgrade because of software requirements but that's what Microsoft and other software companies are out to do - develop software that they think we can't do without, for whatever reason.

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

XP User here....does everything I want it too....

No desire for Vista....

Although I need a new laptop....so goodness knows what it will come with.

Gordon
PLC

PC

PC

I've just one word to say to all these problems.... Apple :D

Idea15

Idea15

OSes are becoming a bit obsolete, aren't they, with many applications now web-based.

That said, I went for a job interview two years ago (before I thought of starting up) at a recruitment firm on Hope Street which had me take a timed test of Word for Windows 3.1 on a computer still running 3.1. And they wonder why people like us leave the workforce altogether...

C

CCConsultants

My business is a Microsoft partner, and as such got pre-release versions of Vista for testing.

Even now it is, sadly, significantly slower and more complex than XP ever was. Market resistance to Vista is so high that Microsoft have extended XP's lifecycle twice already, and it will still be available for a period of time.

The whole reason for announcing Windows 7 now is to stop people jumping ship to Apple and the Mac OS X. If you have to change your software and hardware (which Vista will require due to its systems demands),Microsoft are terrified that you do so by switching to Apple.

If you can, hold on to XP, or wait for Win7. If you are brave, explore Apple Mac (we did and switched).