By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Music industry demands iPod tax

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Just picked up this article from The Guardian regarding the UK music industry asking for a tax to be paid for people to transfer music from a purchased cd to their iPod etc.

UK music industry demands an iPod tax (and the law is still an ass) | Technology | Guardian Unlimited

Dont you think these people should wake up and stop shouting about copyright infringements and the like? I'm sure there are people on here who have different views on copyright but dont you think it's ludicrous what they are asking for.

I appreciate that in some industries copyright has to be protected but why should someone pay again to here the same music but on a platform that is more convenient for them :mad:

S

ScottJ

If the music industry & Hollywood had embraced the internet, downloading music and video on demand they may not have slit their own throat. Copyright is important but so is business acumen and trying to withhold distribution on their own terms will only ever lose them money.

TomB

TomB

my god has the world gone mad. :eek:

Honestly does this country need another tax?

I buy a CD i've paid my

Brian McIntosh

I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. I download my music (legally) to my iPod and burn a CD at the same time. As Tom says, do we really need another tax? Although, on the other hand, I'm a great believer in protecting my own copyright so maybe I'm being hypocritical?

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I dont think you're being hypocritical at all Brian. I recall another post from Matt where he talks about photographs being used in different ways so you have to make sure your copyright is tight enough so that if it's used on an sort of mass basis you're rewarded for it.

Music is a completly different argument, you aren't changing anything, your simply playing it on a format more suitable to yourself. Scott hit it on the head, the music industry didn't embrace the internet at all so it kind of feels liek sour grapes.

ahop23

This is all such a scam. . . another way for those who really do not need any more money to get more from us the consumer.