By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Keep Mp's Expenses Public - Sign The Petition

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Have a look at this:

https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/mps-expenses

Remember when we paid £2,115 to clean an MP’s moat? In 2009, many MPs were found to have abused taxpayers’ money by claiming outrageous expenses. Trust in our politicians crumbled…further. But despite this, you’d never guess what they’re planning to do now.

Plans are being floated to hide the names of MPs whose expenses are being looked into. And make details of expenses less thorough. But our MPs work for us, so what they spend out money on is our business.

IPSA, the watchdog which sets the rules for MPs expenses, is asking public opinion before anything is set in stone. So a huge people-powered petition demanding that politicians expenses are kept public could force the plans to be dropped.

We've only got until Friday before the consultation closes. Can you sign it now?
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/mps-expenses

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Signed. I think it's vital to do this because we need to rebuild the trust that seems to have simply been lost completely. I will also share this on a couple of social media sites if you don't mind?

L

Lauren Turner

I'll definitely be signing this. I can't tell you how much it annoys me that MPs claim such huge expenses whilst watching so many people struggling to find work, or working for next to nothing at all. So this is something that means a lot to me, particularly as I'm a fairly low earner myself.

Stephen Sherry

Stephen Sherry

I signed this too. It doesn't matter who you vote for, its important that MPs are held accountable by the electorate when they misbehave!

P

Pete Brindle

If MPs are claiming expenses I do think they should be public to an extent. Some of the things I've heard them claim for in recent years have been absolutely ridiculous and it needs to stop.

caxyxn

caxyxn

Signed.
There's no excuse for any system to abuse taxpayers money.
The less they reveal, the more likely they are to abuse.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Signed.
There's no excuse for any system to abuse taxpayers money.
The less they reveal, the more likely they are to abuse.

Exactly. But at the same time, I don't think it's entirely their fault. If the system allows people to get away with things, then they're going to. Things need to change to make it so that they're not even able to do it in the first place, whether they have to declare it or not.

P

Pete Brindle

Exactly. But at the same time, I don't think it's entirely their fault. If the system allows people to get away with things, then they're going to. Things need to change to make it so that they're not even able to do it in the first place, whether they have to declare it or not.

This is true to an extent, in that I would sort of expect other people who are in other jobs to behave in this way. But for some reason it doesn't sit easily with me, and I think that's because of the fact that they are MPs, who are supposed to be working for us and be on our side. If our MPs can't be honest and open, then what's the hope for anything else?

M

Mike Turner

One of our friends is our local MP and claims a lot back on expenses. Nothing the same as what the more prominent ones seem to claim, but they do claim a lot of fuel for journeys that are nothing to do with his job, like family days out etc. I think that's wrong, but as long as they're allowed to get away with it, they will continue to do so.

Latest Posts