By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Just how easy is Linux

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi All,

I'm getting sick fed up of Windows and all the issues I keep having. I bought my wife a little Eee PC a few months back so she could surf etc at home. This has a stripped down version of linux on it which seems to work like a dream.

This got me thinking. How easy is it for someone to install linux on a machine taking windows off. What limitations does linux have in terms of compatible applications etc. I'm sure some of you computer buffs can give me an answer :)

stugster

stugster

Linux has a full range of applications that are very closely related to Windows packages. You can also install a small application in linux called WINE that runs Windows Applications (not all work) in the linux environment.

You can install both Windows and Linux on your computer - there is no need to remove windows entirely unless you really want to.

Try Ubuntu, it's nice and simple and it has a "LIVE" cd that lets you try and test it (running from the RAM rather than installing the Hard Drive) before installing.

PC

PC

In a business environment I'd forget about Linux in all honesty unless you enjoy manually changing / setting up everything via text file rather than using wizards (a la windows) or you are planning on using it to run a mail server or host a website.

You can also forget about other nice things such as your accounts software and if you use MS Access then its a no-go too.

On the plus side, its virus and spyware proof, Thunderbird, Firefox and Openoffice are all there.

Forget about WINE unless you want to play minesweeper - it's utterly useless.

stugster

stugster

Aouch.

I'd say that was a very one-sided and inaccurate account of a linux environment. Linux doesn't need to change, there is such a huge variety of choice, no-one needs more. What small businesses need to understand is exactly what they are buying when they buy IT.

When considering your software dependencies, it's a similar situation as if you were running a Mac OS network. Some applications will work, others will not. But that shouldn't be a reason not to use it - after all, if there's one Operating System that has fantastic free alternatives to every Windows Software application, it's Linux.

As an example, compare an install of Windows XP to an install of Ubuntu, CentOS, or Debian. I bet you the *nix variety will install much easier, quicker, and with most drivers.

I'm an avid user of both operating systems, and I would never try to justify one being better than the other.

RedEvo

RedEvo

I use both. My workstation is Linux and my lappy is XP. I love Linux but I like XP also. For Linux I opted for Linspire (linux for non techs). Absolute piece of cake with their Click n Run system.

d

PC

PC

Aouch.

inaccurate account of a Linux environment

Having had over 15 years experience of Linux I'd say that it was a very good account of the Linux environment. No straight-forward upgrade path (ever tried to upgrade RedHat6 to RedHat 9? Forget it...),I've lost count of the number of systems I've configured using text files, KDE is unstable, Gnome is better but until someone comes out with a paid version of Linux that has the money reinvested back into it development then it will never be as good as Microsoft or OS X. But then it stops being Linux if people have to pay and the developers are paid rather than being a community project.

with most drivers

Most being the appropriate word...

fantastic free alternatives to every Windows Software application

Free does not equate to better. With the exception of Openoffice, name me one piece of Linux software that has the quality, look and feel and is as functional as Windows software and that doesn't need to be configured using text files?

Don't get me wrong, Linux has its place but most certainly not as a day-to-day operating system for Joe Bloggs sitting at home and the office environment is a no-go too. In the server environment though, it excels.

Final word: If you have to go for a Linux distro then go for Opensuse / Novell Suse. It is the most stable of the bunch and have a higher-than-usual quota of wizards to configure it.

Rant over.