By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Hr: How Big Does A Company Have To Be?

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I was thinking about this, and since I started my business I have had no decided "HR Person". If there's a problem, staff come to me - I am the boss. But what if they don't want to come to me? What if the problem IS me? Where do they go then? We're not really big enough to hire a HR person as I don't feel they'd have anywhere near enough to do - but how big does a company have to be where it's just an essential?

What are your HR departments like?

P

Pete Brindle

We don't have a designated 'HR Person' but I was lucky in that one of my admin guys actually had HR Training. This job is a bit of a stop gap for him as he's looking for something in that industry, but when I saw it I saw an opportunity to add it to his job role and it seems to work well at the moment. There are seven of us altogether including me but I do think it's a good idea for them to be able to talk to someone other than the boss (although ideally obviously it would be a job of its own - but he would be sitting twiddling his thumbs for most of the day).

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

We don't have a designated 'HR Person' but I was lucky in that one of my admin guys actually had HR Training. This job is a bit of a stop gap for him as he's looking for something in that industry, but when I saw it I saw an opportunity to add it to his job role and it seems to work well at the moment. There are seven of us altogether including me but I do think it's a good idea for them to be able to talk to someone other than the boss (although ideally obviously it would be a job of its own - but he would be sitting twiddling his thumbs for most of the day).

You struck lucky with your guy, then! Perhaps I could send one of our staff on a course to help them out a little bit, that could solve the problem for now at least.

P

Pete Brindle

You struck lucky with your guy, then! Perhaps I could send one of our staff on a course to help them out a little bit, that could solve the problem for now at least.

There are plenty of courses listed here if you wish:

http://www.reed.co.uk/courses/hr-training/scotland

But you might find it easier to get someone to come in and do some training, because these look a little bit pricey and I'm not sure whether you'd want to spend that amount of money as such a small business.

Edward Obi

Edward Obi

Director, HR Consultancy
Hello Gemma,

How are you getting on. Nice post in reference to HR have you got yourself sorted yet. If no I am sure we can arrange a convenient time to chat to go over any needs that you may have.

My contact details are 07810548283 or email me on edward.obi@deuxconsulting.com.

Have a great weekend.

Best Regards

Edward

L

Lauren Turner

I don't think it matters how big; if you have people working for you, you have to have some kind of provision of that kind, even if it is just something that you add to somebody else's job rather than hiring a specific person with that in mind. You have to cover all bases as a business owner, it's one of the key things that you always have to bear in mind.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I don't think it matters how big; if you have people working for you, you have to have some kind of provision of that kind, even if it is just something that you add to somebody else's job rather than hiring a specific person with that in mind. You have to cover all bases as a business owner, it's one of the key things that you always have to bear in mind.

Yeah that's true, I suppose it's good that people have somebody that they can go to talk to other than the boss as well, because what happens if, for example, one of my staff have a problem with me? That would be an awkward situation if they knew that they didn't have anybody else, so I suppose there should always be other options for them.

M

Mike Turner

Every company needs somebody who the staff would be able to go to with a problem. I wouldn't expect my lads to come to me if they had a problem with me, so they need somewhere else that they know they're able to turn to whenever needed.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Every company needs somebody who the staff would be able to go to with a problem. I wouldn't expect my lads to come to me if they had a problem with me, so they need somewhere else that they know they're able to turn to whenever needed.

I have just hired an official HR person who has experience working in a more administrative sort of role, so I think I have it covered now. After a lot of thinking about it, I thought this was probably the closest that I could come to a good solution.

Edward Obi

Edward Obi

Director, HR Consultancy
Hello Gemma,

Hiring a HR Admin support who has experience in an administrative role does help in terms of administration etc. However in the event of any employee relations issue , advice and guidance, employment law will the experience in admin suffice ? See how it goes in the interim. My professional advice would always be than an employer i.e small medium employer who cannot afford a full time well versed HR professional should have a monthly cost effective retainer that provides that valuable advice when needed. It always helps in any eventuality. That aside however Gemma its great that you have that support in place, it shows your commitment to best practice.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Hello Gemma,

Hiring a HR Admin support who has experience in an administrative role does help in terms of administration etc. However in the event of any employee relations issue , advice and guidance, employment law will the experience in admin suffice ? See how it goes in the interim. My professional advice would always be than an employer i.e small medium employer who cannot afford a full time well versed HR professional should have a monthly cost effective retainer that provides that valuable advice when needed. It always helps in any eventuality. That aside however Gemma its great that you have that support in place, it shows your commitment to best practice.

Hi sorry I didn't mean that they were unqualified as a HR professional, I simply meant that while they were hired primarily in that role, they also had the experience to help out in other areas of the office as well, which I see as a great thing.

Edward Obi

Edward Obi

Director, HR Consultancy
I totally agree as HR is very valuable to small businesses.

P

Pete Brindle

Hi sorry I didn't mean that they were unqualified as a HR professional, I simply meant that while they were hired primarily in that role, they also had the experience to help out in other areas of the office as well, which I see as a great thing.

This is similar to what we've done in the end. Our person couldn't find a job in a designated HR role so I think that we're doing him a favour by giving him this job, and at the same time he's doing us a favour by filling a role that we didn't really want to give as a full time post.

M

Mike Turner

I have just hired an official HR person who has experience working in a more administrative sort of role, so I think I have it covered now. After a lot of thinking about it, I thought this was probably the closest that I could come to a good solution.

Yeah it sounds as though you have it covered. It can be difficult to get everything sorted when you're on a limited budget, but it does sound as though you're alright now.