By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

How Do You Secure Repeat Customers?

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

So, once you've done a job for someone, how do you personally make sure they keep coming back to you? I like to do it by ensuring that I have the best communication with them possible, and that I do everything that they have asked for. For example I will keep in contact with the authors who I edit for at least on a weekly basis so that they know what's going on, and we find that this works well for all of us.

How do you go about securing your own future business deals? Do you find that many will come back to use your services again?

P

Pete Brindle

Well for a start, a lot of the packages we offer come in blocks, meaning that they may as well come back, because there are no refunds if they don't. Our 'clients' are mostly children, so the best thing we can do is make sure they have the most fun possible, in addition to teaching them the skills that they need to secure the best exam results they can, because obviously that's how the parents decide whether we're worth it or not!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Well for a start, a lot of the packages we offer come in blocks, meaning that they may as well come back, because there are no refunds if they don't. Our 'clients' are mostly children, so the best thing we can do is make sure they have the most fun possible, in addition to teaching them the skills that they need to secure the best exam results they can, because obviously that's how the parents decide whether we're worth it or not!

Do you get many people giving up when you wouldn't expect them to? Or children who you know are carrying on but just not with you?

B

Branded Merchandise

We offer volume discounts. If they hit certain sales figures over the course of a year, they get discounts. It works well for both of us and usually means they don't look elsewhere.

Obviously providing a good service is paramount too

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

We offer volume discounts. If they hit certain sales figures over the course of a year, they get discounts. It works well for both of us and usually means they don't look elsewhere.

Obviously providing a good service is paramount too

That's a good tactic. So they have a good incentive to go back to you rather than go elsewhere!

P

Pete Brindle

Do you get many people giving up when you wouldn't expect them to? Or children who you know are carrying on but just not with you?

Yes there are some, but not many. Because we teach a lot of kids, you'll find that they naturally reach 'difficult' stages where they rebel against practice etc, and sometimes this results in their lessons stopping. You also get some drop-off in the first year because they might have tried it but not liked it. The vast majority who are with us in the first year stay at least until secondary school, and if we secure them at the age of 12 then they will stay until they go off to university. We have a friendly staff body and the kids like that.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Yes there are some, but not many. Because we teach a lot of kids, you'll find that they naturally reach 'difficult' stages where they rebel against practice etc, and sometimes this results in their lessons stopping. You also get some drop-off in the first year because they might have tried it but not liked it. The vast majority who are with us in the first year stay at least until secondary school, and if we secure them at the age of 12 then they will stay until they go off to university. We have a friendly staff body and the kids like that.

I remember when I was younger and learning, a lot of them stopped playing at maybe 14 because of peer pressure that it wasn't 'cool'. Hopefully your kids don't have to put up with this, though, because they learn away from school. It's a shame because if anything musical talent should be applauded and celebrated!

P

Pete Brindle

I remember when I was younger and learning, a lot of them stopped playing at maybe 14 because of peer pressure that it wasn't 'cool'. Hopefully your kids don't have to put up with this, though, because they learn away from school. It's a shame because if anything musical talent should be applauded and celebrated!

I have heard some of ours saying their friends tease them. Very sad. Music is a gift but it seems that the talented kids are teased for it!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I am planning to sit down and work out some form of loyalty scheme this morning.. to encourage people to place multiple orders with us.. wish me luck ha ha.

P

Pete Brindle

I am planning to sit down and work out some form of loyalty scheme this morning.. to encourage people to place multiple orders with us.. wish me luck ha ha.

What kind of thing do you have in mind? :D I assume you've done it now provided you stuck to task yesterday!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

What kind of thing do you have in mind? :D I assume you've done it now provided you stuck to task yesterday!

Only things like 'get one book edited by us and get the second one 30% off'. Or for clients who have us edit articles, say edit 10 and then get one done for free. Something like that, I'm still playing about with numbers at the moment.

A

andybrowne

4 ways to gain repeat customers:
1. Build an email list
2. Have exclusive customer promotions and rewards
3. Offer discounts
4. Create a positive customer service experience

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

4 ways to gain repeat customers:
1. Build an email list
2. Have exclusive customer promotions and rewards
3. Offer discounts
4. Create a positive customer service experience

Great ways, I agree. What kind of customer service would you expect would help to retain customer loyalty?

P

Pete Brindle

Great ways, I agree. What kind of customer service would you expect would help to retain customer loyalty?

Someone who answers the phone and helps rather than sending you through a huge list of automated options would help, I think!!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Someone who answers the phone and helps rather than sending you through a huge list of automated options would help, I think!!

Well we're far too small to have any kind of automated lines. Clients deal directly with whoever they're working with here. So I suppose that's all fine.

P

Pete Brindle

Well we're far too small to have any kind of automated lines. Clients deal directly with whoever they're working with here. So I suppose that's all fine.

That's a good thing. I much prefer working with smaller companies or even freelance individuals, as you get a much better quality of customer service from them.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

That's a good thing. I much prefer working with smaller companies or even freelance individuals, as you get a much better quality of customer service from them.

A lot of the people we work with say that's why they choose us. We might not be able to offer rock bottom prices like big companies, but at the end of the day we do give them the service they need, which is worth paying a lot for!

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

It's amazing how many people simply value the fact that people pick up the phone after a couple of rings or just a have a friendly manner. It certainly goes a long way!

I agreee with Andy EVERYONE who owns a small business should be building an email list. It's the best way of keeping in touch.

As SBF is free I don't tend to see it from a sales perspective but I spend alot of time offline helping people in the hope that they continue to use the forums. I tend to measure my success by how many people I actually help.

As Gemma says finding a way to keep in touch with people goes a long way. Understanding their pain points etc allows you to get a better feel for their needs. I'm not a massive fan of discounts etc particularly in service based business that relate to time as I don't think people should undervalue their own time.

Some great content here as well so keep it coming :)

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

It's amazing how many people simply value the fact that people pick up the phone after a couple of rings or just a have a friendly manner. It certainly goes a long way!

True, nobody wants to be waiting on hold for hours on end. Nobody has the time for that! Plus you can normally expect huge phone bills for it as well. I will NEVER even think about a premium rate line, no matter how big my business gets.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pete Brindle

True, nobody wants to be waiting on hold for hours on end. Nobody has the time for that! Plus you can normally expect huge phone bills for it as well. I will NEVER even think about a premium rate line, no matter how big my business gets.

Try asking THEM to hold while you get yourself a drink or something. It's not so nice for them then! Agree about avoiding premium lines where possible, I hate calling those.