By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

How do you do Flash properly for SEO?

Boxby

Assuming that you have a very big, posh, expensive (very expensive) website, and its been built with a lot of flash. Assume that this big posh expensive website isn't ranking for even the most uncompetitive of the long tailed keyword terms.

Assuming, that at present, the website owner doesn't want to take a hatchet to his big expensive website. (seeing as it's less than a year since it was paid for).

Assuming, that as part of this exercice, the basics relating to header tags, descriptions, titles, keywords, content, relevancy etc are all going to be addressed.

What and how can do to make the flash work better for SEO?

Gordon N

Gordon N

I would explain the benefits of taking that hatchet to the site a bit sooner! :tongue_smilie:

There are ways of boosting the SEO effectiveness of flash sites and content, but as far as I can tell its a constant battle. These days the majority of effects and interaction that was previously only achievable using Flash can now be produced in a far more SEO friendly way with javascript frameworks such as JQuery or mootools etc. If the time is taken to ensure graceful degrading for non-javascript visitors overall the site is far more accessible at the same time.

I am currently working on some designs for a large media production company who have decided that the hatchet was required for exactly the same reason! :)

PeterHoggan

PeterHoggan

Flash is basically compiled JavaScript, although search engines can index Flash files it still remains difficult to extract content and structure from them. Depending on how much the site owner is willing to spend there are a few options open to him/her.

1. The noscript tag offers a way to feed search engines a plain text equivalent of the flash file it also lets blind users who use assistive devices access the web read the page. This solution will have limited benefit but if the site is in a non competative niche it can provide an inexpensive alternative to a complete rework.

More Here

2. Switch all contextual and navigational elements over to either the DOJO or JQuery frameworks. These frameworks can replicate everything flash can do without the barriers put up by Flash.

Dojo
JQuery

3. Start again and do it right.

PeterHoggan

PeterHoggan

Flash is basically compiled JavaScript, although search engines can index Flash files it still remains difficult to extract content and structure from them. Depending on how much the site owner is willing to spend there are a few options open to him/her.

1. The noscript tag offers a way to feed search engines a plain text equivalent of the flash file it also lets blind users who use assistive devices access the web read the page. This solution will have limited benefit but if the site is in a non competative niche it can provide an inexpensive alternative to a complete rework.

More Here

2. Switch all contextual and navigational elements over to either the DOJO or JQuery frameworks. These frameworks can replicate everything flash can do without the barriers put up by Flash.

Dojo
JQuery

3. Start again and do it right.

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

In addition to the excellent advice you've already been given ....

Keep in mind that a growing number of users (I'm one of them) specifically block or disable Flash in their browsers, using tools like FlashBlock. If the site depends on Flash for its navigation or functionality (as opposed to decoration),you will be locking out a small but significant part of your market.

Mike

stuarty

Banned
Flash is basically compiled JavaScript....

No it's not. Flash is a vector animation application that can be used to build scripted or non scripted sites. There are billions of Flash websites working on animation and links alone that rank.

The OP asked about SEO for flash then you point to technical links about noscript, dojo and jquery. You don't give any useful advice to help her solve the problem.

Boxby if your site owner is hell bent on keeping the Flash site then there are plenty of ways to SEO it. Read these links below as they provide information on solving your problem. I wouldn't waste your time with dojo or jquery - you'll spend weeks trying to understand the framework.

Use the noscript tag with caution as Google can penalise your site if it is misused. The noscript tag has been used for spamming, hiding links etc.

See here -> Cloaking, sneaky Javascript redirects, and doorway pages - Webmasters/Site owners Help

Flash SEO -> Flash SEO using the noscript tag and a little HTML

Google and adobe...

Google Now Crawling And Indexing Flash Content

Official Google Blog: Google learns to crawl Flash

Best use of Flash -> Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Best uses of Flash

NorthSouthMedia

NorthSouthMedia

Assuming, that at present, the website owner doesn't want to take a hatchet to his big expensive website. (seeing as it's less than a year since it was paid for).

What and how can do to make the flash work better for SEO?

The easy and cheap solution would be to offer an html alternative to his all-singing, all-dancing Flash site.

This way he still gets to keep his flashy site yet has the html simplified version for search engine traffic. Users would have a choice of selecting which to view and spiders would get all the juicy content from his html version.

NorthSouthMedia

NorthSouthMedia

One more thing :

As it stands Google still hasn't fully learned how to crawl and index flash websites properly, for one they CAN'T pass on any juice from links contained within the Flash version, which is one helluva oversight in my opinion!

PeterHoggan

PeterHoggan

Flash is multimedia platform that manipulates both vector and Rastor graphics. It is built on action script (ecma script) AKA JavaScript.

There have been instances when Google has penalised sites that have incorrectly used the noscript tag and rightly so. However what I am suggesting is the correct usage and shouldn’t create any problem. Stuarts second link clearly shows the benefit of using the noscript tag in a similar situation as Boxby describes.

Boxby, I am not suggesting that you or anyone else misuse this tag.

I would concede that Google’s ability to index Flash content is far better than it was, and getting better. That said, I have still to see a SEO site built in Flash ranking, the same goes for other competitive markets like finance or insurance. Even if the did you would still be left with the accessibility issues.

NorthSouthMedia

NorthSouthMedia

That said, I have still to see a SEO site built in Flash ranking, the same goes for other competitive markets like finance or insurance. Even if the did you would still be left with the accessibility issues.

Think you'll have a wee while to wait for that to happen Peter, until they sort out the linking issues, it'll not happen while Google and other search engines use links as one of their main attributes to ranking sites.

PeterHoggan

PeterHoggan

I wouldn't waste your time with dojo or jquery - you'll spend weeks trying to understand the framework.

Stuart, this thread opened by saying "Assuming that you have a very big, posh, expensive (very expensive) website..." Unless I am mistaken the frame is - what would I do? (I meaning me) So my post was based on some of the steps I might take if this was my client rather than Boxby's.

Boxby, I know from reading your posts that you know a good bit about SEO but I can see no reference in this post to indicate you would be undertaking the work.

So, in this context I see nothing wrong with the suggestions about alternative frameworks and there was never an assumption on my part that anyone would have to spend weeks learning anything.

Boxby

Stuart, this thread opened by saying "Assuming that you have a very big, posh, expensive (very expensive) website..." Unless I am mistaken the frame is - what would I do? (I meaning me) So my post was based on some of the steps I might take if this was my client rather than Boxby's.

Boxby, I know from reading your posts that you know a good bit about SEO but I can see no reference in this post to indicate you would be undertaking the work.

So, in this context I see nothing wrong with the suggestions about alternative frameworks and there was never an assumption on my part that anyone would have to spend weeks learning anything.

I am not doing the SEO (I can't, I am a non techy! But at least now I can find a h1 tag!!),but I have a vested interest in the site, and getting it ranking and working. I am looking for options/suggestions from people that have the technical knowledge that I don't have.

Latest Posts