By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

How Are Your Invoices Looking?

P

Pete Brindle

The only thing missing from our invoices was the 'payment due by' date, which we have now rectified. We don't invoice our students as they pay in advance, but we do invoice the likes of schools/organisations when we go in for visits etc, and some of them are notoriously slow in paying up. The only reason we still go to schools is because we often get new pupils signing up which is worth more in the long term than the actual invoice anyway!

L

Lauren Turner

I was so stupid when starting out, as I just took cash in hand for everything and put it in a box so I didn't have any kind of receipts. Now, I keep them for everything. Everyone who buys something gets a receipt plus an itemised invoice for everything that I used to make their product, and it helps me to work out my profits much more accurately, so it's excellent really. I would definitely say you should have an invoice template that you use for each client, rather than doing a separate one for all of them, then it will look much neater when it comes to making your records.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I was so stupid when starting out, as I just took cash in hand for everything and put it in a box so I didn't have any kind of receipts. Now, I keep them for everything. Everyone who buys something gets a receipt plus an itemised invoice for everything that I used to make their product, and it helps me to work out my profits much more accurately, so it's excellent really. I would definitely say you should have an invoice template that you use for each client, rather than doing a separate one for all of them, then it will look much neater when it comes to making your records.

You have to keep receipts. Even if you think you know exactly how much you're earning. Because at the end of the day, you never, ever know when HMRC are going to want to see your records, and they will find it much easier to work through if you have specific things to show to them. It's better to be safe than sorry; the last thing you need is a huge fine.

P

Pete Brindle

You have to keep receipts. Even if you think you know exactly how much you're earning. Because at the end of the day, you never, ever know when HMRC are going to want to see your records, and they will find it much easier to work through if you have specific things to show to them. It's better to be safe than sorry; the last thing you need is a huge fine.

Yeah, you just need to make it as easy as possible for them to understand your figures, intentions etc. Then if ever they want to see anything you'll know you have everything to show them, and that it would all be fine. Never miss anything out or you could be in big trouble.

M

Mike Turner

We had ours professionally designed by a company so that they all look the same. We used to just write them with a pen and paper back in the "good old days" but our new ones are much better for records, they're kept safe and with back ups now after reading scare stories on here (thanks for making me get around to it, by the way) so yeah, I think we're doing quite well with them.