By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

How are you using your iPad for business purposes?

S

sarah1

Being a writer, my iPad is almost always out and turned on. I use it to jot down whatever is on my mind and any story ideas I get.

MrsDev

I've just upgraded to the new iPad Air from the iPad 2, especially for work. The kids now have my old one, and I get a game free iPad!

For work, I use Pages to write content for the websites and the e-learning packages. I also use a program called FTPOnTheGo to edit & update files directly on the server.

I suppose I mainly use Safari to administrate the websites and talk to my colleagues, despite Safari being incredibly slow on the new version.

Reading back, It doesn't sound as if I use it a lot, although I do!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Being honest, I don't deserve to own an iPad, because the only things I do with mine is check my emails and procrastinate by playing games. Oh dear. But it's great to hear about all of the other apps that are available, because I know that I should be making more of them. In fact I should delete all of the games, because I would be able to reclaim a lot of working hours that way!

P

Pete Brindle

We have some apps for the kids to do their homework with, and it's a huge new venture with us at the moment, which we're enjoying. I'm hoping to develop a specific app for us, rather than using other people's individual apps, so that's a summer venture for me!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I have just found out that you can get MS Word for iPad, and that you can track changes on it. This means that I can edit books on it, so I might well trial that after I come back after my summer holiday. It would be easier to work in coffee shops and things like that if I didn't have to take a laptop with me, so hopefully I'd be able to fit more work in overall!

P

Pete Brindle

I have just found out that you can get MS Word for iPad, and that you can track changes on it. This means that I can edit books on it, so I might well trial that after I come back after my summer holiday. It would be easier to work in coffee shops and things like that if I didn't have to take a laptop with me, so hopefully I'd be able to fit more work in overall!

That sounds great, much better than having to carry all kinds of equipment around with you anyway. Also I bet a change of scene like going to a cafe somewhere could make you much more productive!

E

eeyorebob

I love my Ipad, I do lots of work on it when out and about, mostly at home i'm on the laptop though

Gordon N

Gordon N

I use mine for a number of purposes, and nowadays find it a massive boost for efficiency...

In addition to it being a great testing ground for responsive development (using Adobe Edge Inspect),I also like to have it showing my Basecamp account. This means I can keep a view on tasks and add comments etc as I work without having to switch tabs/pages on my laptop. Since the majority of my development work happens on the go these days it's a total god send.

Add to that the usual email/twitter/facebook pages apps, photo editing and maybe a couple of games to unwind I wouldn't go without one now. Even to the point that work is now starting on iOS app development as a service offering for the future... :)

Things will get even better soon as Apple release iOS8 and Mac OSX Yosemite as they will work even closer together than ever before (if your a Mac fan boy like me that is) ;-)

P

Pete Brindle

I use mine for a number of purposes, and nowadays find it a massive boost for efficiency...

In addition to it being a great testing ground for responsive development (using Adobe Edge Inspect),I also like to have it showing my Basecamp account. This means I can keep a view on tasks and add comments etc as I work without having to switch tabs/pages on my laptop. Since the majority of my development work happens on the go these days it's a total god send.

Add to that the usual email/twitter/facebook pages apps, photo editing and maybe a couple of games to unwind I wouldn't go without one now. Even to the point that work is now starting on iOS app development as a service offering for the future... :)

Things will get even better soon as Apple release iOS8 and Mac OSX Yosemite as they will work even closer together than ever before (if your a Mac fan boy like me that is) ;-)

The games are great, sometimes you just need something to take your mind off the stress of the working day, and games work well for that. I love the fact that technology can help us so much these days, it's brilliant. You get so much bad press about how it's ruining childhoods etc but it does make a heck of a lot easier, too!

M

Mike Turner

I use mine mostly for social media, but I also respond to customer emails etc. I know it's a waste, given what it's capable of, but I do like to play some of the games - not strictly business related of course!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I use mine mostly for social media, but I also respond to customer emails etc. I know it's a waste, given what it's capable of, but I do like to play some of the games - not strictly business related of course!

Not a waste really. It's good for what you need it for, and that's all that matters really, isn't it? Also I think an iPad is a lot easier to open up than a laptop is, so you'd be able to keep on track of your emails etc without having to open the laptop every time. iPad is hand held whereas the laptop would need you to sit somewhere comfy, and it all takes a little more effort really!

L

Lauren Turner

I get a lot of orders from my Facebook page, and I find that it is very helpful to have that page open on my iPad at all times so I can see when I have any notifications. I also use it to browse other websites so that I'm able to see what kind of designs are out there that I could try and replicate and adapt to make my own at some point.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I get a lot of orders from my Facebook page, and I find that it is very helpful to have that page open on my iPad at all times so I can see when I have any notifications. I also use it to browse other websites so that I'm able to see what kind of designs are out there that I could try and replicate and adapt to make my own at some point.

I think being able to be contacted by people as quickly as possible is important. Like, if someone wants you to make them something, they're likely to ask you - but then if you don't get back in touch there's always that slight chance that they're going to ask someone else instead. So having something like an iPad that can give you a notification is great as it gives you that opportunity to be in touch straight away.

P

Pete Brindle

Our app that we were making for the kids is up and running now, and it's brilliant. We had a few teething problems, but we think we've solved it now, and the best thing is that there's a PC version for those who don't have access to an iPad. The kids have an account and can complete homework assignments, and all staff have access to the results of the test (in the form of little games) that they've done. It was difficult and we had several arguments with the developer along the way, but thank goodness we're there now.

M

Mike Turner

Being a writer, my iPad is almost always out and turned on. I use it to jot down whatever is on my mind and any story ideas I get.

Have you thought about getting a dictaphone for this purpose? I had a friend who was writing a novel once, and he had his with him all the time, and just spoke into it whenever he had an idea. He then listened to it at the end of the day. There might be an app to do this, in which case you could stick to your iPad, which would be great!

Robert Simpson

Robert Simpson

I don't use my iPad for anything business related, but I'm seriously considering the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil to use as an illustration tablet. I watched a video recently where someone was using Photoshop on their Mac via their iPad Pro running Astropad, effectively turning it into a much more capable Wacom Cintiq.

LucidCaledonia

LucidCaledonia

I don't use it that often for business purposes. I do check emails and linkenin, but the bulk of my work I do from the computer. I do interact with clients on it though, so I suppose that still counts.

stugster

stugster

Has anyone played with the Microsoft Surface? It's like an iPad but runs Windows and has a laptop spec.