By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Help

abs

abs

Can someone help before I lose the plot completely!

I have a Nokia E5 and have set up my website email but can only either send out email or receive it depending on the settings but not both. I am using pop. for incoming and smtp. for outgoing which lets me receive but not send. Also it disconnects when I try to send. If I change it to imap. for incoming then I can send but not receive.

I have set up my btinternet email accounts no problem.

If you can understand this, what am I doing wrong?

Theresia

stugster

stugster

Hi Theresia,

Very strange! Who's your phone provider?

Tork UK

Tork UK

Yes I would talk to the network provider! Without knowing what information the handset asks for, I am not really sure what to suggest. :confused:

Chris

abs

abs

Thanks Guys

It's Vodaphone but I think it is something to do with my actual website email because the two btinternet accounts work fine. What I'll do is just access my website email through webmail and that'll save any problems (I think).

Thanks for your input. You can always rely on someone to try to help on these forums! :thumbup:

Tork UK

Tork UK

I am certain that if you take the phone into Vodafone they should be able to resolve the issue for you? Or you could change your phone to one that is compatible? That is unless you are happy to use webmail.

Chris

abs

abs

Thanks Chris. I'm delighted with the phone so I'll just carry on with webmail just now.

Theresia

H

HostThree

Have you tried using the Vodafone servers for the SMTP?

Aillum

Aillum

Using Vodafone servers should work. I use my VirginMedia SMTP for all outgoing mail through my phone (personal and business related),but it only works correctly while I'm within range of my Wireless VirginMedia connection.

This means I can recieve mail pretty much wherever I am, but can only send when near the house.

However, 02 (my provider) have an option for exactly that situation which allows you to send via their SMTP servers.

It might be a similar situation for you, although it sounds like you've a workaround with webmail.

Brian
Twitter: Brian Tait (taitbw) on Twitter

Tork UK

Tork UK

This all sounds a bit complex. I am grateful for the simplicity of the iPhone...

computer storm

computer storm

Check to see if you webserver needs to authenticate when sending, this will stop you from sending e-mails,

Ben Stege

Ben Stege

Hi Theresia,

It is very likely that this is, as suggested before, caused by a mismatch in authentication / encryption settings between your phone and the email account. It is likely that your email provider requires authentication for both incoming and outgoing email. I would strongly advise you to use IMAP for your mobile. Try different encryption / security settings (SSL/TLS/STARTTLS).
I know this can be a bit fiddly. If yo want to avoid all that I would recommend moving to a Google Apps (free) or Hosted Exchange mailbox, you can then use the Nokia App 'Mail for Exchange' to sync Email, Calendar and Contacts. This blog post explains it a bit more: Choosing the best email setup for a small business Cumulus IT blog

Hope that helps?