By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Google Drive to rival Dropbox

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I'm a huge fan of Dropbox but interesting to hear the story below about Google Drive. I've heard rumours about this before but now it appears ready to go live.

http://www.t3.com/news/google-drive-to-launch-next-week-with-5gb-of-free-cloud-storage

Given that we embrace Google Apps across our business it seems logical to also adopt Google drive. It brings up an interesting debate about whether we should put all our eggs in one basket.

Is Google Drive for you?

stugster

stugster

I had intended to look into Google Drive further, but have been stupidly busy with all sorts of nonsense. Will definitely be looking at it in May.

Having said that, I did find an open-source alternative to these kinds of software solution that lets you deploy it on a hosted server you own/rent so that you really are in control of your data. If I find the time after testing it, I'll do a proper review on it for SBF :)

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Just following up on this. It looks like the T&C's have been updated to make the ownership issue less of a barrier.

We massive fans of Google Apps so we've been trying Google Drive out. Initial impressions are pretty good and there are some going plus points over dropbox particularly around sharing and the permissions of it. OK one big downside is it doesn't have an iPhone app as yet but we believe it's in the pipeline.

Anyone else used it and have any thoughts?

P

PromoMPH

I think Face book had similar issues with owning the copyrights to any photo that you upload and being free to distribute it to whoever they chose. Its not the first time I've heard the internet giants doing this and I think they will try to get away with it more and more.

Latest Posts