By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Free or Cheap websites

gib123

gib123

Hi guys,

I have my website with microsoft office live small business (OLSB). Its free hosting with microsoft and its basically a template site, but ive built a pretty decent website from it, and now i hear its closing down at the end of the year. So what im needing is some information regarding free or cheap website software or sites like OLSB where a novice like me can create, adjust and tinker with his own site, without spending a fortune. Ive had a look at googles free sites, bit to techy for me, (and yes i know some of you might think the google sites are basic lol) but im just looking for some advice, or tips.

OLSB are creating a new platform similar to the one im using now, more aimed at business customer, but there is very little information regarding this yet from microsoft. So eventually when they release more info, i might just change over to their new platform (for a small monthly fee) but ive just really enjoyed creating my own site and its been very fullfilling.

Cheers in advance,

Matt

iMS

Hey

If you can afford to pay a few quid for hosting why not try Wordpress? Excellent platform for the less technically inclined and a whole range of plugins available to add some flair to your site easily.

Many people think Wordpress is just a blogging platform but they are seriously wrong... it can be used as a full on content management system and many top firms use it for their main website.

Hi guys,

I have my website with microsoft office live small business (OLSB). Its free hosting with microsoft and its basically a template site, but ive built a pretty decent website from it, and now i hear its closing down at the end of the year. So what im needing is some information regarding free or cheap website software or sites like OLSB where a novice like me can create, adjust and tinker with his own site, without spending a fortune. Ive had a look at googles free sites, bit to techy for me, (and yes i know some of you might think the google sites are basic lol) but im just looking for some advice, or tips.

OLSB are creating a new platform similar to the one im using now, more aimed at business customer, but there is very little information regarding this yet from microsoft. So eventually when they release more info, i might just change over to their new platform (for a small monthly fee) but ive just really enjoyed creating my own site and its been very fullfilling.

Cheers in advance,

Matt

theangrydog

theangrydog

I would suggest using Joomla CMS, it offers everything you could want in a website, it can be a but confusing to begin with, but if you really want to build your own i would recommend it,

iMS

I would suggest using Joomla CMS, it offers everything you could want in a website, it can be a but confusing to begin with, but if you really want to build your own i would recommend it,

I agree with Joomla as a good CMS... but as you say for someone looking for the least technically minded platform I would recommend wordpress over all others.

With just the smallest of knowledge one can have a very professional business website that is super easy to maintain and update.

gib123

gib123

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I've had a play around with wordpress, dont really like it. Ive also has a play around with weebly, which was a little better. I havent tried joomla yet, I might have a play with that over the next few days. Is joomla all about the code? or is it a different type of builder?

Cheers,

Matt

G

Gouldie0

Hi Matt,

Don't be put off by Wordpress, it's absolutely fantastic and free. Once you get a template sorted and your head around a few plugins you'll be on your way.

Kind Regards

neil

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Matt,

When I first started out with my webistes I used Joomla. It wasn't long before I found it to be massively cumbersome and really quite a struggle to use. Thankfully like the others I went the Wordpress route and have never looked back!

I can now pretty much set up a site on my own and only need some small pieces of work occassionally to get a site looking and feeling the way I want. There's a great dummies book for Wordpress as well that would be a great investment.

What aspects of Wordpress was it you didn't like? Wordpress out of the box doesn't look much but when you apply themes to it and like Neil says add a few plugins it becomes something massively powerful. I've always wondered why there isn't anyone offering some sort of class in Wordpress because I think lots of small businesses could benefit from them.

johnmessingham

johnmessingham

I will add another vote for Wordpress. I have worked with Joomla! since it was called Mambo and although a lot of work has been put into the system I am not convinced the direction the project is going now is for the best. Unless the is a specific reason all my new projects will be based on Wordpress.

AndrewFrench

AndrewFrench

I have to agree with the WordPress option, it is a great choice and has the famous 5 minute install. There are thousands of free themes to get you started and can be customised WordPress to within an inch of it's life. There is a massive amount of documentation and a great community to help you along the way. And as others have pointed out it is FREE. There are a lot of great hosting options out there, but I can personally recommend equiphase.net. They have a very affordable pricing structure and their customer service is unbeatable.

AndrewFrench

AndrewFrench

Sorry @gib123 just noticed your post that you're not keen on WordPress, you could always give PYROCMS a go. I've used it a few times now and it's a really nice CMS.

WebMedia

WebMedia

Hi Matt

It's horses for courses, as they say! If you want a fully functional, fully featured cms then Joomla is still leading the way. There are many extensions available for almost every function you might need, many of them free, just like Joomla, that can extend it both laterally and into vertical markets that it is hard to beat.

If you want a blogging platform that can be extended, particlarly with the recently introduced custom menus and the wide range of plugins available, that also has some cms functionality then WordPress is an excellent platform to consider.

But, I'm not quite sure what you are asking here as it looks like your site is already running on WordPress and designed and developed by Internet Marketing Scotland, your first reply above, who I would have thought would have know that already.

regards
Rob

F

ferrylass

Hi Matt,
I use Mr Site for our website. I 've been using it since its conception which must be at least 5 years now and its come on in leaps and bounds since then. It cost me £42 for this years subscription which isn't free I know but I recon its worth it. I find it so easy to use as I really am not much of an expert at these things and I think the results are pretty professional.

BioOutsource

BioOutsource

Wordpress, Joomla and Durpal being extremely powerful and highly customised tools i don't know why people spend thousands of £ to buy similar platform that give less flexibility over website. If you wanna get a professional website spend time and resource to make a professional and high end front end theme rather then backed contents.

A

Annie

I think if you are looking for some easier, free and cheap website then go for wordpress. It is the best out of all.

Tina Vargas

Tina Vargas

Hey

If you can afford to pay a few quid for hosting why not try Wordpress? Excellent platform for the less technically inclined and a whole range of plugins available to add some flair to your site easily.

Many people think Wordpress is just a blogging platform but they are seriously wrong... it can be used as a full on content management system and many top firms use it for their main website.

I would recommend same thing. Wordpress is the most common used platform of business nowadays. I find OLSB complicated. Phew!

B

Bakersbelief

I would steer away from Joomla if you are looking for something simple. It really is confusing to begin with, that confusing I abandoned trying to set it up. I went to WIX instead, a range of templates to choose from including ones optimized for mobile viewing.

It's free and you can edit it directly online, so no coding knowledge needed.

James

R

Robert Frost

I'd also agree with Wordpress, it's really easy to use once you sort out your plugins etc. Themes will really make your site stand out too.

MattW

MattW

I recently set up a new site for my wife, and went with Wordpress. Very easy to set up, and the new update to 3.8 looks really good!

barry100

barry100

Check the link in my sig. I provide websites with no design fees and a small monthly fee.