By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Finding The Perfect Property?

P

Pete Brindle

I'm trying to branch out at the moment, as you may have seen in my other threads recently. The one problem is that I have never rented a building before. I was lucky enough to have the cash injection to have someone build us a base last time but this time we're scraping a bit more to get the other place open.

What do I need to look for? I don't even know the average rates so I wouldn't know if I was being ripped off or not! Ideally I want something in central Glasgow but I'm open to having somewhere a bus ride away if this is too expensive.

I'd need somewhere with at least a couple of rooms.. ideally with an upstairs and downstairs with somewhere for a communal area as well.

Thanks!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Well, never look at just one property. Always shortlist, and compare prices with what you get. If you think you're going to need to change certain aspects of the inside of the property, make sure you'll be able to do this within the terms of your contract, otherwise it's not really fit for purpose.

If you need multiple rooms, then have you thought of renting a house rather than a commercial property? Of course you would have to register the intended use etc but if you pulled it off it seems to me that the number of rooms plus obvious facilities (kitchen, bathroom, lounge etc) would benefit you.

P

Pete Brindle

Well, never look at just one property. Always shortlist, and compare prices with what you get. If you think you're going to need to change certain aspects of the inside of the property, make sure you'll be able to do this within the terms of your contract, otherwise it's not really fit for purpose.

If you need multiple rooms, then have you thought of renting a house rather than a commercial property? Of course you would have to register the intended use etc but if you pulled it off it seems to me that the number of rooms plus obvious facilities (kitchen, bathroom, lounge etc) would benefit you.

I hadn't thought of that but it's not a bad idea. We'd need somewhere with relatively few neighbours though or I imagine we'd get complaints! Do you have any idea how easy it is to do this? I will of course research it myself, but if you have any experience or knowledge about it that would be great as we're looking at all possibilities right now!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I hadn't thought of that but it's not a bad idea. We'd need somewhere with relatively few neighbours though or I imagine we'd get complaints! Do you have any idea how easy it is to do this? I will of course research it myself, but if you have any experience or knowledge about it that would be great as we're looking at all possibilities right now!

Well my business was simple but yours is a little different I THINK because there would be members of the public coming to you, then there's the issue of the noise etc. I genuinely don't know, but you'd have to make sure that nobody was disturbed by your business.

P

Pete Brindle

Well my business was simple but yours is a little different I THINK because there would be members of the public coming to you, then there's the issue of the noise etc. I genuinely don't know, but you'd have to make sure that nobody was disturbed by your business.

True. I suppose we wouldn't be too popular if we just launched in a house in a lovely quiet estate, lol. Probably best to keep in a commercial property really.

I do have news though! We have done a bit of research and it looks as though the properties we're looking at are quite reasonably priced, so our current pricing system would work with them without us needing to struggle too much.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

True. I suppose we wouldn't be too popular if we just launched in a house in a lovely quiet estate, lol. Probably best to keep in a commercial property really.

I do have news though! We have done a bit of research and it looks as though the properties we're looking at are quite reasonably priced, so our current pricing system would work with them without us needing to struggle too much.

Oh that's good. Have you decided whether you're sending someone down yet or whether you're hiring fresh faces?

P

Pete Brindle

Oh that's good. Have you decided whether you're sending someone down yet or whether you're hiring fresh faces?

Sending someone down. I've picked my victim, now persuading him that he would really like to move cities for 6 months :). Because he would! Honest!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Sending someone down. I've picked my victim, now persuading him that he would really like to move cities for 6 months :). Because he would! Honest!

Brilliant. Do you have any kind of time scale that you'd like to do it in?

P

Pete Brindle

Brilliant. Do you have any kind of time scale that you'd like to do it in?

Well I was thinking before Christmas, but then I came to the conclusion that because the majority of people start at the beginning of the academic year, there isn't much point in doing it at any other time than September. This September is really too close because we have so much to do, so we're going to aim for next September. That will give us time to go into schools ahead of opening to secure pupils and hire staff who will do us proud.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Well I was thinking before Christmas, but then I came to the conclusion that because the majority of people start at the beginning of the academic year, there isn't much point in doing it at any other time than September. This September is really too close because we have so much to do, so we're going to aim for next September. That will give us time to go into schools ahead of opening to secure pupils and hire staff who will do us proud.

Okay fair enough. At least you have a lot of time now to think about exactly what you want your new branch of business to be like. You'll be able to make sure that absolutely everything is correctly in place.

P

Pete Brindle

Okay fair enough. At least you have a lot of time now to think about exactly what you want your new branch of business to be like. You'll be able to make sure that absolutely everything is correctly in place.

Yeah. It looks as though the rent is reasonable, but we will need to do a bit of decorating inside. I'm hoping to be able to rent from August and then spend maybe a week down there myself helping to get things painted and decorated, then they're putting another business there for a few months, just offices, and then we will take the rent back over from next June and then start teaching in the September!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Yeah. It looks as though the rent is reasonable, but we will need to do a bit of decorating inside. I'm hoping to be able to rent from August and then spend maybe a week down there myself helping to get things painted and decorated, then they're putting another business there for a few months, just offices, and then we will take the rent back over from next June and then start teaching in the September!

Are you hiring someone to do your decorating or are you hoping to do that yourself too? I love hearing about your journey it's amazing what you're managing to do.

P

Pete Brindle

Are you hiring someone to do your decorating or are you hoping to do that yourself too? I love hearing about your journey it's amazing what you're managing to do.

I'm hiring someone to do a bit of building, but we're doing all of the decorating. We don't have much on during school holidays so I'll spend a fair amount of time there getting things ready.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I'm hiring someone to do a bit of building, but we're doing all of the decorating. We don't have much on during school holidays so I'll spend a fair amount of time there getting things ready.

Oh right well at least it fits in with quiet time then! It'll give you something to do!

Latest Posts