By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Does Your Business Support A Charity?

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I have just posted on another thread which has reminded me about something I wanted to ask! My business donates monthly to the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, and has small events in the office (cake sales etc) every now and again. We have also had a stall at a local show a few times which has been great.

We don't donate very much at the moment because we're putting most of our energy into the business, but I love being able to donate at least something. Do you do anything like this? What types of things are good? I would love to find a way to get more locals involved in what we plan!

P

Pete Brindle

We don't support one charity in particular, although I can see that it is good to keep things constant in that respect. We give a concert for parents at the end of each term, and the pupils can nominate a charity for half of the proceeds to go to - the other half go into the running costs of our building and making important and vital improvements. We've had a lot of charities, a lot of animal ones actually because the children get to choose, but I like that variety, and we always invite a spokesperson from the charity.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

We don't support one charity in particular, although I can see that it is good to keep things constant in that respect. We give a concert for parents at the end of each term, and the pupils can nominate a charity for half of the proceeds to go to - the other half go into the running costs of our building and making important and vital improvements. We've had a lot of charities, a lot of animal ones actually because the children get to choose, but I like that variety, and we always invite a spokesperson from the charity.

That sounds like a good thing to do. I'm sure the representatives from the charity appreciate the invitation as well, as it will be a great event for them! And I know from my days being an area leader in a charity it's great to see how some of the money is raised.

P

Pete Brindle

That sounds like a good thing to do. I'm sure the representatives from the charity appreciate the invitation as well, as it will be a great event for them! And I know from my days being an area leader in a charity it's great to see how some of the money is raised.

We like to think we're giving them a good night out as well. It's the least they deserve after all of the work they do all year round.

L

Lauren Turner

Technically my business supports a lot of different charities. I sell my products on tables at coffee mornings and fairs, and these are always for charity. I have to buy my table, usually between £5-£10 for the morning, and the money from that goes to whichever charity the coffee morning has been held for. I like to support local charities as well as national ones where I can, and I find that I am able to do this. Of course I do attend some events that are for the better known charities, too.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Technically my business supports a lot of different charities. I sell my products on tables at coffee mornings and fairs, and these are always for charity. I have to buy my table, usually between £5-£10 for the morning, and the money from that goes to whichever charity the coffee morning has been held for. I like to support local charities as well as national ones where I can, and I find that I am able to do this. Of course I do attend some events that are for the better known charities, too.

That's good. Do you include the names of the charities that you support in any of the advertising things that you put out at all? I imagine that would be quite a good message to put across, and might get you more business as people could look at you in a more favourable light!

P

Pete Brindle

We have decided that this term's charity will be The MS Society because one of the children we're teaching has a relative with the disease. Yes, we always put the charity logo on advertising material. It sometimes gets other people interested who wouldn't normally bother to come and watch, so often it can work out quite well.

M

Mike Turner

We don't support a charity directly, but we have in the past done the occasional sponsored thing for certain events that the town as a whole get involved in. One of the guys who works for me has a little girl who wants to do something for Children in Need, she goes to school in England and wants to do a sponsored Scottish day.. we will be sponsoring her!

Latest Posts