By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Does Personal Finance Affect Ability To Obtain Business Finance?

LucidCaledonia

LucidCaledonia

I've never needed any business loans, but it has made me wonder whether your personal finance affects your ability to obtain business finance?

St Rhenium

St Rhenium

Without doubt, although it depends on the kind of financing, the amount and the provider to what degree. If you build up a reputation for throwing money away nobody is going to touch you with a barge pole just because it's for a business this time :p

MarkB

MarkB

Staff member
There will be occassions, especially in the early days, that you will be required to give a personal guarantee on any business loans. So to an extent your personal circumstances could impact your business's ability to raise funds.

selfemployed

selfemployed

I totally agree with the comment above - in the early days of your business you will likely be asked to give a personal guarantee on business loans. If your credit rating is not up to scratch then you might struggle - rightly or wrongly you might still be paying the price for past financial issues.

Needhelp

Needhelp

As mentioned above the vast majority of new businesses who apply for finance will no doubt have to obtain some kind of guarantee from directors/business owners. This is not too bad as it means that all parties have "skin in the game" and will do their best to make it work.

selfemployed

selfemployed

If you put yourself in the position of lenders, unless there is a degree of risk for individuals, what other motive is there to really really push their businesses?