By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Celebrity Commercial Rights

• Thread starter Branded Merchandise
  • Start date
B

Branded Merchandise

This is a bit of a random question perhaps however I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on how one could go about securing the right to use a celebrities name on products etc?

I know all these people have agents/management companies but it must be impossible to get through to them. So if anyone has ever had any experience, your story would be very interesting!

P

Pete Brindle

You have to find a way to get to their management. There was a case recently where New Look used Rihanna's face without her permission and it got them into all kinds of trouble. So make sure you go down the right channels or you could end up with a hefty fee to pay at the end of it!

M

Mike Turner

Lots of celebs would probably just ignore it because it wouldn't be worth their time pursuing it, but honestly I don't think I would want to risk it. If they choose to sue you, and you hadn't asked for their permission, and they won, the costs that you would have to pay could very well be the end of your business if you don't make all that much money anyway.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Honestly I wouldn't risk it. Make sure you cover all bases when you're planning things or you might regret it later. I don't know who'd you'd go to though if you wanted permission, but I guess you'd have to find out.

L

Lauren Turner

Honestly I wouldn't risk it. Make sure you cover all bases when you're planning things or you might regret it later. I don't know who'd you'd go to though if you wanted permission, but I guess you'd have to find out.

This is the key thing that I was going to say. It just isn't worth the risk at all as far as I'm concerned. You're a small business and probably can't afford to lose much so it could ruin you if you weren't careful.

B

Branded Merchandise

Thanks for the input all

Of course, I was intending on doing it properly - purchasing the appropriate rights etc. I wasn't thinking about anybody high profile but just wondered if anyone had successfully managed to acquire the rights to anyone who was fairly well known in a particular niche for e.g

I think if it's properly executed, there should be little risk. I do get what you mean though but having said that - nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that!

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Thanks for the input all

Of course, I was intending on doing it properly - purchasing the appropriate rights etc. I wasn't thinking about anybody high profile but just wondered if anyone had successfully managed to acquire the rights to anyone who was fairly well known in a particular niche for e.g

I think if it's properly executed, there should be little risk. I do get what you mean though but having said that - nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that!

Sorry if it sounded as though I was assuming you weren't going to go through the right channels. I personally wouldn't know how to get the rights but as I say the only thing I do know is that it would be worth it, particularly if you'll then be able to make a really successful product line from it.