By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Broadband speed test

TomB

TomB

I just tested this at the office where we have Telewest business 10MB broadband and got 8.4MB

not bad!!

Will test the house later. I have Virgin media 4MB as well, but were getting an upgrade to 10MB free at some point this year.

T

Idea15

Idea15

Question for anyone, while we're on the topic: I tried to switch away from Virgin and was told that we had an NTL line, not a BT line (courtesy of the previous residents) and would have to pay

2.1Mb on talk-talk's basic service. A big improvement on the 0.2 we had with BT and the 0.8 that Tiscali managed...

Who told you that Heather? Virgin by any chance?

It's certainly possible but seems a bit odd....

TomB

TomB

Question for anyone, while we're on the topic: I tried to switch away from Virgin and was told that we had an NTL line, not a BT line (courtesy of the previous residents) and would have to pay

Idea15

Idea15

It was Post Office broadband which told me that, actually; and when I'd looked at Tiscali they said they could not even provide the service.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it. It really annoys me that we are stuck with a provider we didn't choose.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I tried this earlier while at a clients office and it told me it was a depressing 0.3 Mbps :(

Not i'm at home it's a more respectable 1.5 Mbps but that still leaves me at the bottom of the league :( I'm now thinking about getting up at 3am when contention should be better just to get a better score :p

TomB

TomB

I tested this at home just now and got 3.6MBs from a 4MB line.

Not bad for prime time.

but 0.3mb thats just shocking :eek:

T

S

ScottJ

Your connection to bbc.co.uk is working at 4.6 Mbps.
-Tried on Speedtest and I get 5.3

Pretty decent results, I am on BT.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I just tested speedtest and got 3.5Mbps. The BBC tool shows 1 Mbps. Now this get me wondering which one is actually more accurate given there's such a big difference :p

DavidN

This has to be a first. I have an advertised 8Mbps package and i've just checked it through speedtest and got 7.7Mbps. This must be the first time ever that an ISP has got this right. Wonders will never cease.

David

Neil

Neil

1.7mbps for BBC and 2.6mbps for Speedtest. A poor result for Orange. I think it is the BT exchange as I used to be on Demon and it never achieved what I was promised.

Gordon N

Gordon N

My results...

My router reckons 7.7Mbps

BBC reckons 5.2Mbps

Speedtest reckons 6.3Mps

Not too bad I suppose with an average result being 6.4Mbps. A little faster would be nice as I am only about one mile from the exchange!

Regards,

Gordon

Idea15

Idea15

Virgin has now upgraded the Glasgow area to 10mb broadband. I rebooted my modem and discovered that the 10 meg promise is true!

...at 1 AM.

I'm at 5.5 here during the business day. Better than before, but still...

PC

PC

If you go into speedtest.net and have a look at the country results for other places compared to the UK you'll be shocked.

Try Norway, Sweden and Russia as an example.
:(

Gordon N

Gordon N

I thought I would drag this thread up from the archives as I found a rather funky speed tester that allows you to share your results...

It's called Speed.io

Once you've run your test a little panel opens in the bottom left hand side of the screen that lets you share your results. I thought a comparative benchmark from the same tester, with visible results might be interesting...

Have to say I am a little disappointed with my results...

TomB

TomB

I quite like that its really good. i got quite decent results from it actually for prime time on a sat night. i have 10mb from Virgin

That is quite bad results from BT, what speed of package do you have?