By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Brexit rules about selling digital downloads outside of UK?

N

Naturalcausesart

Hello!
I’m hoping for a bit of advice from someone who knows, as I’ve looked and looked on the internet for the answer and it’s very confusing.

I previously used Etsy, and was a self employed artist. I sold physical and digital products, and wasn’t vat registered but was registered for self assessment, although i didn’t make enough to be worth it, and then closed shop.

I’m going to register as self employed and will be using a blog and selling digital products such as downloadable documents or perhaps at some point a digital course. When I read about the new brexit rules, the articles talk about customs, imports and exports etc, and I’m not sure how much of it applies to me as my products will be downloaded, not posted/sent.

I’ve read that I would need to register for vat in eu countries, with VAT MOSS. I don’t think I will need to be VAT registered though, so apparently this means I should register so that I comply with the VAT rules of the Eu countries, but I don’t need to charge or collect VAT on uk sales? Is that the best way? Is it possible/sensible instead to voluntarily register for VAT for the UK as well?

do I need an EORI number? And an Xi number in case someone in Northern Ireland buys my digital product?

is there anything else I should know about brexit affecting this business?

Latest Posts