By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Would you consider merging with a competitor?

E

Employer

There is no doubt that post the coronavirus pandemic there will be both financial and logistical challenges for businesses. We will all need to cut costs, possibly leading to job losses, in the hope that we can consolidate and hopefully grow again in the future. One option, maybe controversial, is the possibility of merging with a competitor. Is this something you would consider?

barry100

barry100

i think it would be difficult to do so in my city and industry (web design). I build bespoke systems and all the others use wordpress so I would be reluctant to give access to my special sauce. Plus Im already at the top of Google for everything I want and get regular work so the offer to me would have be very special.

G

Goingitalone

Sometimes a merger with a complimentary business can help both parties. I would certainly not be against merging with somebody that had something to offer. However, you would need to ensure a 50/50 stake in the enlarged business between the two entities. Otherwise, you could go from controlling your own business to a bit part player in a larger business.

Needhelp

Needhelp

You may see companies postponing mergers and takeovers in the short-term as they await payment of the government's £1000 bounty job retentions up to January 2021. After that companies will need to readdress their finances and see what the best course of action is. I think many will merge.

L

lookingforadvice

Are we talking about a merger of two businesses offering the same products/services or complimentary businesses?