By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

working from home

gamecockfan

Do any of you have any experience with profitable businesses which can be successfully be run and managed from home? Do you think that eventually all good businesses will become too large to be managed from a remote location which does not require "office time"?

nothing does

nothing does

I have experienced companies that did (at times) encourage people to work from home. I think it can work well. If you need the space to get on with something that doesn't require input from anyone else I think it's a good idea. Of course there will always be those that abuse it and I have experienced that too. 'X is working from home today as they need to get on with a pitch' But we all knew that X was out at a party the night before!

I think a lot of the larger companies would rather their staff be chained to their corporate wheel for 7.5 hours a day but I may be wrong.

ahop23

I know there are a few reputable companies who allow employees flex time and scheduling that works better with their home scheduling but I think those are few and far between.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Personally I dont think I would get that much work done if I worked from home. There's something about being at work and being around other people that are working that stops you from pissing about.

The idea of flexible working is just a that an idea and while businesses need to be seen to be embracing it I dont think many embrace it.

I run my business from home. Have done for about 14 years now. That said, it's not uncommon for TV producers and writers to be primarily 'anchored' at home though projects may take them into a temporary workspace.

The corporate video side of things is deliberately kept on a 'human' scale and again the 'home office' model is adequate. And similarly, almost all the prep and research for my lecturing work is done at home rather than in the college... They provide a Remote Desktop facility for my computer there and certainly (as part of the sustainability agenda) don't encourage me to travel the 37 miles there unless I'm physically needed in the building.

It's important though to set aside space, to set aside time and be self disciplined. Personally, if I didn't work from home my family would never see me.....

A

Alan

I worked from home as an employee for 16 years for some of the worlds biggest companies in the Pharmaceutical Sector(GSK, AstraZeneca).I also worked from home while running projects in most of Europe.I think it all depends on the organisation/Industry and the mindset of individuals.some people find the freedom and flexibility great, others hate the fact that work is in a room in their house.I do think though that on balance it CAN be done profitably and well.