By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Women in Business

frockery

frockery

I was at a WIB meeting in Dundee this evening focusing on IT in business, so I let the other attendees know about SBF and the benefits of internet networking forums. Hopefully some will soon come along and say hello! :)

How did your networking event go, Stu?

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Alison,

Thanks for mentioning SBF, it's nice to know the word is spreading. It would be useful to know how I could approach WIB about putting their events on the site. I also think that a podcast about what WIB does etc would be really useful. Do you think this is something they would be interested in?

frockery

frockery

Hi Alison,
Thanks for mentioning SBF, it's nice to know the word is spreading. It would be useful to know how I could approach WIB about putting their events on the site. I also think that a podcast about what WIB does etc would be really useful. Do you think this is something they would be interested in?
Don't see why not as they are in the business of supporting women in business. Do you want me to email the contact I have to ask how best to make a formal approach to their network?

Last edited by a moderator:
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Alison,

Any introduction or guidance you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I think it makes it easier if you have someone on the inside (so to speak) :)

D

Dizzydiza

I have emailed local business acquaintances about the forum but i guess they are too busy to come and join :(

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Thanks for spreading the word dizzydiza. I actually think that business forums are not that well know in Scotland yet! I'm sure as it grows and word starts to spread it will become more of a must do activity. :)

PC

PC

Replying to the topic title...

Nope, it shouldn't be allowed. Keep 'em tied to the kitchen sink I say! Pregnant, barefooted and barely fed!

Seriously though, in an age of equality why on earth is there WIB groups? Lets start an MIB group: dress code is black suit, shades and alien zappers.

D

Dizzydiza

Replying to the topic title...

Nope, it shouldn't be allowed. Keep 'em tied to the kitchen sink I say! Pregnant, barefooted and barely fed!

Seriously though, in an age of equality why on earth is there WIB groups? Lets start an MIB group: dress code is black suit, shades and alien zappers.
hope you in hiding now ....lol. ;)

To answer though....i think its because business was always seen as a mans world.....very much so in the 40's and 50's, possibly even later a womans place was probably still considered better spent at home.
The network of support that women can give each other is probably similar to what I have found on the business forums. It is difficult being a housewife, mum and running a business....something that maybe only another woman can understand.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I agree with you dizzy. I think even today it's still seen as a man s world and if these organisations can do something to help correct the balance then it can only be a good thing. I think you have a valid point that the challenges facing a woman when starting in business can be quite different from a man.

I think if there was equality and women were represented equally to men then I agree these organisation wont work. But it's not equal, far from it.

S

stressmom

I do not know if women in Scotland face the same issues as female workers in the US, but we only make about 2/3 of what men in equivalent positions with the same exact backgrounds and sometimes even better education so yes, there is deinitely a reason to have associations like WIB. We are making progress but I think that worldwide the discrepancies still exist.

Idea15

Idea15

I'm quite active in the WIB events in Glasgow and I should clarify that they are not "anti-men". They simply provide a positive and energetic platform for women who are thinking of starting up or in their first two years of starting up to meet like-minded people, potential clients, and potential suppliers.

I've been to stuffy networking events where it's the old boys club in three piece suits talking about their latest mega-bucks deal; for me, the sole trader in a creative business whose target market is fellow sole traders and small businesses, I'm wasting my time and money even showing up to those sorts of events. So WIB provides a great opportunity in that regard as well, and I've gotten my most energetic and best clients from there.

, to answer your original question, each regional WIB group is run locally, so contact the designated person in the local area you want to target.

nothing does

nothing does

I couldn't agree more with the 'stuffy men in suits' and 'the old boys club' aspect of some networking clubs.

In my past I have done work for WIB and they do seem a very friendly bunch. However I am of the wrong sex.

Idea15

Idea15

Just a note that there is a WIB networking event tomorrow, Tuesday the 20th, from 6 PM at Scottish Enterprise Glasgow on Atlantic Quay.

Any woman thinking of starting up, just starting up, or in her first two years of business is welcome to attend. As I've said above, I always leave these events full of energy and inspiration.

And yes, There! Is! Food!

Idea15

Idea15

They eliminated food for a while. They will not make that mistake again. ;-)

Loooove your site BTW. Some of those frocks give me childhood flashbacks!

frockery

frockery

Thank you, Heather. :)

I'll have to ask about food at the next WIB meeting here. As it starts at 6pm, most of the attendees are starving by the end of the session.

Idea15

Idea15

What got the food back was the fact that the WIB staff were as starved as the attendees were, after all they had put in a full work day in the office before that. So tell the Dundee WIB people to complain about having to work until 10 PM with no food and that should do the trick. :)

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Heather,

Thanks for the tip on using local contacts for WIB. Would either yourself or Alison have some contact details for the person relating to your specific club that I could possibly email? :)

frockery

frockery

, you just jogged my (failing) memory. :)

I emailed Anne at the Tayside WIB a while ago and got an out of office reply, so will speak to her at the next meeting which happens to be on Thursday (I would have forgotten if Heather hadn't resurrected this thread. :)

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking