By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Why Doesn't Everyone Use Offshore Development?

poliq

poliq

All is well
Hi,
I simply wonder why doesn't everyone use offshore development? It is so effective

versal567

versal567

I understand this is about offshoring+outsourcing, where the offshore developers are individuals or are employees of another company; and not offshore employees of the same company.

Some reasons:

• The startups need to be tight, focused and manage their own development.
  • The startups must focus on their core functions and how they are built. The large companies offshore the non-core functions.
  • Offshoring has overhead in terms of management, communications, and the basic fact that the people aren't in the room with you.

swartz

swartz

I have been offshoring development for the past 4 years using agile (scrum) methodologies. There are a few lessons learned that have already been mentioned but one thing we do which is super key to our success is doubling up on the scrum master role. I believe it is super important to have the scrum master as close to the developers as possible if they are going to properly remove and manage impediments. So we have a local scrum master working directly with the developers as well as a scrum master onsite working directly with the product owners in the US. This allows for the scrum masters to constantly stay on top of impediments happening in multiple locations. I believe you can check out this article https://idapgroup.com/blog/offshore-software-development/ explaining how to optimize the interaction between an offshore development team and the product owner.

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking