By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

When You're Not Hard At Work..

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Okay, so the majority of posts that I see on this forum are about all of us hard at work, trying to make our businesses successful.

But what about when you're NOT working? How do you chill out?

For me, I'm so simple.. I love to read (which is silly, being an editor, as I read for a living lol but I love reading for pleasure) and I love to watch certain television shows. I also like to spend time with my partner and go out and about with him on the rare occasions that we have days off today!

What about you guys? How do you wind down and switch off from work?

saltire

saltire

Mines is pretty boring as I like a night in the pub :p

Doesn't happen very ofter then days :(

I also enjoy a game of golf but again time always seems against me!

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I have two young daughters so most most of our time is spent ferrying them to various activities like swimming, Tae Kwon-Do and football to name three!

I'm currently trying to learn the guitar which is proving more difficult than I had thought :p

Over and above this I do enjoy a game of golf but like Mark very rarely find the time. I'm spending a bit of time just now perfecting my pool technique but again I seem to be going backwards :p

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

Mines is pretty boring as I like a night in the pub :p

Doesn't happen very ofter then days :(

I also enjoy a game of golf but again time always seems against me!
Nothing boring about a night in a pub! I actually enjoy that too, particularly on quiz nights. We never win, though!

Doing some photography, walking the dog or both!

I love entertaining friends -- which inevitably involves good food & wine ;)
I imagine you get some pretty awesome photo opportunities whilst on walks, right?

I have two young daughters so most most of our time is spent ferrying them to various activities like swimming, Tae Kwon-Do and football to name three!

I'm currently trying to learn the guitar which is proving more difficult than I had thought :p

Over and above this I do enjoy a game of golf but like Mark very rarely find the time. I'm spending a bit of time just now perfecting my pool technique but again I seem to be going backwards :p
Sounds crazy busy! What are you learning on the guitar, notes or chords? I learned chords when I did it, which has made me a bit lazy, but at least I can play through some songs I suppose! I'm a singer so learned guitar and piano just so I could accompany myself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Sounds crazy busy! What are you learning on the guitar, notes or chords? I learned chords when I did it, which has made me a bit lazy, but at least I can play through some songs I suppose! I'm a singer so learned guitar and piano just so I could accompany myself!
I'm learning chords. I actually played the Saxophone for many years throughout school and to quite a high level. Naively I thought this would stand me in good stead for the guitar. Completely different!

My wife's family are very musical so I always feel left out a little. It will not defeat me though :p

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I'm learning chords. I actually played the Saxophone for many years throughout school and to quite a high level. Naively I thought this would stand me in good stead for the guitar. Completely different!

My wife's family are very musical so I always feel left out a little. It will not defeat me though :p
You'll have some kind of grasp of notation etc though that will help! I remember starting the guitar and it killing my fingers! I was a total music geek at school & college, in fact it's hard to believe I have so little to do with it now. Did all of my practical exams plus some theory exams, was in bands, choirs.. then went to uni and work/real life took over!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pete Brindle

I play about a million musical instruments (slight exaggeration, fair enough) because I like to have at least a basic knowledge of everything we teach in the centre. So my "downtime" always involves practicing an instrument. I don't usually have to get a teacher to help me out, but I will sometimes if I'm struggling with technique.

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

I play about a million musical instruments (slight exaggeration, fair enough) because I like to have at least a basic knowledge of everything we teach in the centre. So my "downtime" always involves practicing an instrument. I don't usually have to get a teacher to help me out, but I will sometimes if I'm struggling with technique.
That sounds like a dream! Getting to do what you love for a job AND as a hobby! Perfect, right?

saltire

saltire

I like to write songs. I would never let anyine hear any of them though :p

I find it really relaxes me and makes me chill out. Really easy to get lost in it actually.

Nice to see so many musical people on here - almost an SBF band in the making ;)

P

Pete Brindle

I like to write songs. I would never let anyine hear any of them though :p

I find it really relaxes me and makes me chill out. Really easy to get lost in it actually.

Nice to see so many musical people on here - almost an SBF band in the making ;)
You SHOULD let people see them! Make an anonymous channel on YouTube or something to get some feedback! I went through a period of songwriting during my teens and still have some of the lyrics and they're shameful.

"See that girl over there, with the ribbon in her hair, I just wish that she would care, why oh why is life not fair." And so it goes on..

Gemma Rowlands

Gemma Rowlands

You SHOULD let people see them! Make an anonymous channel on YouTube or something to get some feedback! I went through a period of songwriting during my teens and still have some of the lyrics and they're shameful.

"See that girl over there, with the ribbon in her hair, I just wish that she would care, why oh why is life not fair." And so it goes on..
Well.. I think those lyrics are lovely! Ha ha. Have you ever considered giving them to a teen pop sensation? You never know, it could be next big hit!

P

Pete Brindle

Well.. I think those lyrics are lovely! Ha ha. Have you ever considered giving them to a teen pop sensation? You never know, it could be next big hit!
Much as I'd love to make my fortune selling them to Bieber, I think I'll just keep them hidden in the deep and murky drawer they're in at the moment!!

saltire

saltire

You SHOULD let people see them! Make an anonymous channel on YouTube or something to get some feedback! I went through a period of songwriting during my teens and still have some of the lyrics and they're shameful......
I may one day. I have this really romantic idea of releasing them when I'm dead and becoming a huge posthumous star :p

MapleTree

MapleTree

I love taking long walks when it's nice outside. If it's chucking it down with rain, then I'll stay in and either watch Netflix or do some reading. I also like to make plans with to go out when I know I've got a day off. I like to have a nice balance of work and play :)

Allegrif

Allegrif

I spend most of my free time getting involved in various political campaigns and initiatives, call me sad but it's what I enjoy :p

Jeorge Waters

Jeorge Waters

Personally, I don't work at all. I am a student and I study philosophy and most of the time I'm just thinking. For example, I am sitting and then it occurs to me to find out what honesty is. I google honesty definition and usually find the definition inappropriate.

Meggan

Meggan

I like to do my own flowers. I have a lot of orchids. I also like travel

florri

florri

Verified Member
After work, I want to relax and gain strength. I like to meet friends or walk around the city alone. I also like to grow flowers. I have a lot of orchids and flowers that grow on the window. It is very pleasing when you look out the window and see the luxurious flowering and the result of his work. For flowers, I bought special window boxes https://getpotted.com/planters/style-window/ the size of my window sill.
Bright pelargoniums or begonias please me and my friends. But at the same time they do not take away the useful area in the house. Good land and properly selected plants are all you need to create a flower bed on the windowsill.

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking