By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

What's the value add in business coaching?

M

MarkTaylor1968

Hi guys,

I think I know the answer to this intuitively, but can someone help me articulate the real bottom line benefits of business coaching. Particular in relation to entrepreneurs and new business start ups.

All advice is very welcome.

Best wishes,

Mark

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

The key to success in business and life (I think) can be found in this short quote by a chap called Jim Rohn,

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Hi Mark,

I think for me a business coach is someone who's had experience of working in business and has been through all the highs and lows of what business is all about. I guess the added value for an entrepreneur or start up is maybe not making the same mistakes (some of which could potentially end the business before it's begun) and obviously having someone to bounce ideas off.

Being an entrepreneur or just starting out can actually be quite lonely and I see huge benefits in being able to talk to someone who has already been through it. I think for me though it's too easy for people these days to suddenly proclaim they're a business coach and whilst i've thought about doing it on a few occassions i'd want to know the person I'm working with had the right credentials. I would even spend some extra time trying to find one who worked in a similar industry as I think this would also enhance the value add :)

M

MarkTaylor1968

Thanks for the feedback guys - especially the Robert Pirsig quote - Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance was one of my favourite books about 10 years ago - I should dig out the copy and have a re-read of it. I think 's suggestion of finding someone in the same industry is interesting and probably sensible. Although, splitting hairs, I would say that that is more the quality of a mentor - a coach is more to do with personal effectiveness rather than sector skills and knowledge. Doubtless, others would disagree...!!! Thanks again, M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idea15

Idea15

One thing I found when I started up my own business was that my friends were brilliant and supportive - TOO supportive. Everything I did was greeted with cheers of "great! great!"

When I started working with my coach, she was able to point out a few things that needed some serious work. She did not tell me what to do, she asked me questions which helped me to see the problems myself.

When you're on your own, you don't have a manager or co-workers to point out the obvious. Having your coach act as a supportive but fair second pair of eyes is well worth it.

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Thanks for the feedback guys - especially the Robert Pirsig quote - Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance
I couldn't remember where I had got it from....I have some note books that I keep for personel development purposes and often scribble in some quotes.....I must go look out my copy and read it again too.

Kind regards

Gordon
PLC

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Thanks for the feedback guys - especially the Robert Pirsig quote - Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance was one of my favourite books about 10 years ago - I should dig out the copy and have a re-read of it. I think 's suggestion of finding someone in the same industry is interesting and probably sensible. Although, splitting hairs, I would say that that is more the quality of a mentor - a coach is more to do with personal effectiveness rather than sector skills and knowledge. Doubtless, others would disagree...!!! Thanks again, M.

Mark I think coaching is a great thing...we all need it....I started a thread on testimonials for marketing, which have to be results driven.

What kind of results have you been getting for your clients?

Kind regards

Gordon
PLC

Last edited by a moderator:
Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Hey Kurk,

That's a great post...and thanks for making it....

Welcome to the forum....why don't you go to the introduce yourself section and tell us a little about yourself.

Kind regards

Gordon
PLC

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking