By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

What part of "Road Closed" don't you understand?

Mike Lewis

Mike Lewis

Near my office in Edinburgh, there's a main road that's currently closed for six weeks for gas main renewals.

On all the approach roads, there are prominent signs warning of the closure, and diversions are clearly marked.

Yet all day long, I see a stream of cars turning into the road, weaving past the barriers, and attempting to drive as far as possible, until they eventually come to a trench extending across the width of the carriageway with a fence on either side. They then have to do an extremely awkward three-point turn and retrace their steps.

Why is this? Do all motorists believe that a road closure applies to everyone else except themselves? Or have they programmed themselves to subconsciously ignore all road signs, regardless of the personal inconvenience that results?

Mike

Brian McIntosh

HA, HA. We have exactly the same thing in Inverness. The contractors eventually put up a fence along the end of the road so no-one can get down.

There is a Tesco store near the end of my road which has one way in along a one way street and another way out. The way out has clearly marked no entry signs but no-one seems to take any notice of them either. Quite a few times I've narrowly missed a head on collision because people can't be bothered going round the one way system and instead come in the exit. Never a copper around when you need them. :cursing: