By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

vDrupal

frockery

frockery

Does anyone here have any experience of this?

I am working on a not-for-profit project plan for which I thought vBulletin might be the best option, but vDrupal has also been suggested. I have no idea what it is and whether it would be more suitable for the community forums we have in mind, so any advice would be welcome. :confused:

PC

PC

A Google search brings up a bulletin board system though there is very little info on it.

frockery

frockery

www.phpbb.com :)
If you're wanting a free forum, that's the next best thing to VBulletin.
We're not necessarily wanting a free forum, Stu, and vBulletin was what I initially thought might work best for the project in mind.

Hopefully, there will be a small amount of funding available for the set up costs. And because the project is going to be more than just forums, somebody suggested VDrupal which I must confess I had never heard of.

Time for more research, methinks!

Thanks, both, for your replies. :)

TomB

TomB

hey frockery,

If your looking for an example of a site built using drupal, this is a site I've help with for a company i contract for:

http://www.ethicsgirls.co.uk/

I have to say though, I'm normally quite quick to pick up computer systems, and drupal does take some time to get your head round the modules, taxonomy and page building. But once you've got that its very easy to maintain.

it does have a forum module at its core, but i would say if its just for a forum then vbulletin or phpbb as suggested would be your best bet.

hope that helps

Tom

frockery

frockery

hey frockery,

If your looking for an example of a site built using drupal, this is a site I've help with for a company i contract for:

http://www.ethicsgirls.co.uk/

Tom
I am on the Ethics Girls mailing list and have run into Sam on other forums. :)

From my limited understanding, vDrupal seems to combine the best aspects of Drupal and vBulletin, and since we are after a community feel site with a range of private and public forums, it sounded like a possible solution.

If you have had experience of such sites, Tom, could you give me an idea of set up costs? (by PM if you prefer)

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I know from experience that vBulletin is simply THE forum software. There are others out there but for less than

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Alison,

It's nice to see members helping each other out and I wish you every success with the project. Be sure to post a link when it finally goes live :)

RedEvo

RedEvo

Joomla would work well for you. You can add community builder tools, forums etc no problem. Drupal is also very good although I've never used it.

d

frockery

frockery

Joomla would work well for you. You can add community builder tools, forums etc no problem. Drupal is also very good although I've never used it.

d
Now I have heard fo Joomla before. I will definitely be looking at both options in more depth before jumping into this project.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Alison,

I would agree with Dave. Joomla is a very good platform also. I think from memory the most famous user of Drupal would be Ecademy I think but I know it's kind of focussed on building communities etc.

I think you would find Joomla less of a learning curve and Dave is an absolute expert on Joomla and there is loads of resources on his site. If you go down the Joomla route i'm happy to give you some help (although i'm probably not anywhere near Dave's standard :p)

I'm pretty sure whatever you decide you will get as much support as you want from people on this site. Keep us posted and if we can help in anyway you only need to ask.

frockery

frockery

I have to confess I am not techie minded and find myself switching off early in the learning curve....

But yes, I have spent so much time on Dave's site I am beginning to feel like a stalker (no smart comments from Stu, please!)

Can I also share some great news? The Scottish education charity of which I am the convener has just received confirmation of the funding required for us to host an international education conference in Scotland in September, and John Taylor Gatto from New York has agreed to be our guest speaker.