By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Under Attack...

Not a real issue; just my idle curiosity....

About Mid-Day-ish today I happened to notice that for a short time we had almost 70 guest visitors to the site. I watched their activity and relatively few seemed to be actually browsing threads.

What was going on? Was it some sort of Denial of Service Attack? And invasion of bots or did we just get very popular for a very short time?

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Naughty bots! They need a hot bot and get their botty's smacked!!

smacks the bot's botty's

Last edited by a moderator:
stugster

stugster

Verified Member
Not sure! :) If it was a Denial of Service Attack, I don't think they did a very good job ;)

Not sure! :) If it was a Denial of Service Attack, I don't think they did a very good job ;)
Stangely enough I can think of someone who probably wouldn't manage to do a very good job. :001_tongue:

Bizarrely my own site's logs for Friday around 3:30 show a period of about ten minutes where there were about 100-odd visits each under 30 seconds. Sadly as I'm currently hosted by the rapidly keeling-over Lycos I can't get any real detail...

Perhaps we should despatch Gordon armed with cat and Birch??? :lol::lol:

TomB

TomB

Stangely enough I can think of someone who probably wouldn't manage to do a very good job. :001_tongue:

Bizarrely my own site's logs for Friday around 3:30 show a period of about ten minutes where there were about 100-odd visits each under 30 seconds. Sadly as I'm currently hosted by the rapidly keeling-over Lycos I can't get any real detail...

Perhaps we should despatch Gordon armed with cat and Birch??? :lol::lol:
Ha ha, i wonder who that could be :)

That happened on the Third sector forums as well, we had 87 user before the forums have even launched, wonder how that happened??

Have you not heard Matt, apparently lycos is getting rid of their web hosting:

"As you might have heard in the media, the management and the board of directors of LYCOS Europe N.V. have decided to liquidate valuable businesses and cease unprofitable activities. Unfortunately the webhosting business is one of these.

This means for you, that we will continue providing our webhosting services for only a limited period. A solution is sought, so that online-presences of our customers can be transferred to another provider without causing adverse effects or additional costs.

We will inform you about any upcoming changes in sufficient time. Though details are not yet clarified, we expect the webhosting platform to be operating during the first quarter of 2009.

As soon as we have further details about the planned measure, you will immediately be informed. We expect this to happen in a few days.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. We strive to enable a smooth transfer of your presence. We ask for your understanding that we cannot provide you with further information at this point of time. We also ask for your understanding that you might experience delays in response times from our support team in the next days as we expect an increasing volume of requests.

Please refrain from contacting our support team with request in this matter as no additional information can be provided by this channel at the moment.

We will contact you as soon as we have any further information. "

Time to move host me thinks!!

Ross forwarded their email to me, i have about 15 domains with them but have heard none of this.

T

That happened on the Third sector forums as well, we had 87 user before the forums have even launched, wonder how that happened??
Hmm,.... Three different sites which otherwise have nothing to do with each other seeing the same 'odd' behaviour.... I can actually think of TWO male members of the clan Mitty who might be worth keeping an eye on.

I got that email from Lycos t'other day. The stats tool has been down since September. and there have been a few minor outages. I'll be looking at a new host in the new year. But as the Lycos package costs buttons and it's a kind of doldrums time of year for me I'm not in too much of a hurry....

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking