By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Trump's new golf course

gamecockfan

What is the latest news regarding Donald Trump and his wanting to muck up one of Scotland's most scenic areas with a new golf course community? Is this really going to be allowed to happen? I think the course is going to be north of Aberdeen.

frockery

frockery

I think the application has been called in by the Scottish Government following its rejection by the local planning authority (Aberdeenshire Council).

The Menie estate site has SSI status and the project proposal has certainly divided local opinion - as has the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route. It is not just going to be a golf course (which will destroy natural habitats and protected sand dunes) but there are also plans for a major luxury homes development.

Brian McIntosh

I think that the project should get the go ahead. Regardless of what you think of Donald Trump, he is going to bring one of the worlds best golf courses to our region and all the benefits that will bring. Most people I have talked to welcome the plans and can't understand what all the fuss is about. Aberdeen is too reliant on the Oil Industry for it's money but what do we do when it runs out? The Shells and the BP's of this world won't give two hoots about us when they are moving out of the area because it's not economically viable to work in the North Sea any more. I think the Council should be doing all it can to attract other forms of business to the area so that Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire have the infrastructure to survive after the oil runs out.

nothing does

nothing does

I think that fact that the site is an SSI means that there should be NO WAY this should go ahead. However money talks and I don't doubt that he will get the go ahead. It would be a great shame to lose another area of outstanding environmental importance and to have it replaced with Trump's Golfing Disney World.

Brian McIntosh

As far as the SSI is concerned, I believe it there to protect the nesting birds in the area? The last time i walked across the Menie Estate the only birds I saw were seagulls and there was a dilapidated farm right in the middle of the estate. If this is the kind of thing we are trying to protect, god help us. There are housing developments being built alll around Aberdeen and across Aberdeenshire and they seem to get planning permission without any problems. In my village there has been so many houses built that Network Rail are considering re-opening the train station. On the way into Aberdeen, at Portlethen, there are hundreds of houses being built by a local developer which seemed to sail through planning. I think the Menie Estate is about who is doing the building not what's being built. Other Councils would welcome a development like this with open arms because they see the long term benefits as far as tourism and the economy is concerned.

frockery

frockery

Yes, local opinion is very much divided! :)

I can see both sides of the argument but believe, on balance, that the alleged economic benefits of a golfing resort and massive luxury housing development will be to the detriment of the biodiversity of the area.

I had a jaunt round the Menie estate (with my boss, in a previous job) and it is undoubtedly a wild and unspoilt site which is home to a range of birds and wildlife. The dunes themselves also have protected status and the big hoose in the middle (earmarked for the members' lodge) has been painstakingly restored by its previous American owners.

I do think that the project will get the go ahead from Ministers regardless, but given rising sea levels and the potential for storm surges on the NE coast, I'm not sure the links course won't be swept away in the not too distant future!

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
Out of interest, what reason do they have for preserving the sand-dunes?

frockery

frockery

Menie links lies on one of the largest sand dune extents in the UK, and the development would destroy or damage 2 to 4 per cent of key sand dune bird habitats in Scotland, according to the RSPB.

The dunes, stretching for more than 12 miles from Aberdeen to Ythan, also provide habitats for 19 nationally important species of lichen and fungi and a wide range of plants and invertebrates.

Brian

I dont know as much about this as some but one thing for sure is money will talk and the only outcome I foresee is this development being given the green light.

I dont think there can be any middle ground, most people will either oppose it or embrace it. I'm not sure whether there is a "right" answer.

Brian IFA

Brian McIntosh

I'm not convinced this will get the green light. Some County in Ireland are going to make a push for him to build his development over there. He may just think it's a better idea.

ahop23

I have heard that he is checking out some sites in Ireland as well. What about the argument that the golf course could be covered in sand in a matter of hours if a particularly fierce storm came up from the sea? Wouldn't this change the minds of some locals who may be in favor of the development- it could be lost in an instant?

Boxby

Dumfries & Galloway are standing in the wings, and have already I think, taken proposals to trump towers for an alternative location. Can't knock them for trying!!

Brian McIntosh

Sandra, that's exactly the point I was trying to get across. Aberdeen had the opportunity to have a world class golfing facility which wouldn't have cost them a penny and turned it down. Other councils can see the benefits of this and good luck to them.

Gordon N

Gordon N

I think that is great news for the local area, this could bring a good number of jobs at a time that is quite crucial. Any idea when development is due to start?

Regards,

Gordon

Brian McIntosh

He's looking to start at the beginning of next year. There is still some red tape to get through but It'll be sooner rather than later I would think.

Adventurelife

Adventurelife

I really do think it is a good thing for Scotland. With all the doom and gloom going around and with the high chance it will get worse new investment of this scale has got to be a good thing if managed correctly.

I live near Gleneagles and the amount of money that is generated for small businesses in the local area is huge and this in turn creates employment.

Hopefully this new development will do the same for the north east.

Peter

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking