By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

there's a LOT of spam around here

Adam

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately the forum has been left for some time, I clean up when I get time but have other businesses which require my full attention.

This place hasnt really been active enough to appoint modertators to ease the load and help make it a better place, but activity does seem to be picking up of late so i'll try and invest some clean up time this week and add some more spam check measures.

Adam

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
A lot stricter registration captcha now installed. Along with the inability to post links for new registrations until they reach 20 posts and/or get moved to a verfied member group.

Removed 300 posts and 150 user accounts so far, will come back later and remove alot more.

T

TimW

A lot stricter registration captcha now installed. Along with the inability to post links for new registrations until they reach 20 posts and/or get moved to a verfied member group.

Removed 300 posts and 150 user accounts so far, will come back later and remove alot more.
It's quite a job, I know, so thanks to you Adam.
I used to help out on a forum for a web CMS deleting spam after spam.

Caledonian TV

Caledonian TV

I was quite an active member here back when this was 'SBF' ... and this is my second pass at this particular 'iteration'. - I believe I can see many of the issues.

The key burdens with this type of platform is that they cost money and time to run - and aren't remotely profitable. Yet, they do require very high levels of stewardship and a considerable degree of courage on the part of the owner, if they are to survive and flourish.

Social Media platforms - of which the bulletin/discussion board is among the oldest types - have like all products a 'lifecycle'. And these days; something of a 'revenant' nature. The past 12-15 years have (surprisingly perhaps) seen a decline in computer literacy; with access increasingly via cut-down-dumbed-down devices by people that would have been incapable of passing the basic 'ECDL' type courses of the turn of the century! - DBs or 'Forums' as I prefer to call them, are often less-easy to access for the ham-fisted and pudding-brained.

They therefore function today therefore as an 'off piste' (in terms of the 'mainstream' SM platforms) meeting place for various niche interests; and persist after these 30-40 years of an online world (yes, it really is that long!) because of their potential as bastions of free speech potential for promoting common sense over some or other vacuous commercial/political agenda.

This is where the difficulty really sets in... the owner must be prepared to support potentially contentious positions over the noise of the mainstream. In a business context, that might mean 'drawing fire' from the many shysters and criminals that creep around the fringes of the business world; as well as shooting down the dreamers, fantasist and downright nutjobs that float around in the 'electric soup' (look the term up if you're not familiar) that is, was and will probably always be the internet.

One key issue with this forum is the name - which whether one choses to admit/acknowledge it or not - infringes on the name of another, much longer-established forum. - That is entirely non-credible, smacks of 'passing off' and WILL discourage the legitimate business cohort.

Similarly - bemusing new 'captcha' and 20-post requirement or not... the forum is littered with individuals giving vacuous and/or irrelevant responses in order to get past that 'barrier' and when they do? - What exactly is this 'verified member' contributing by way of meaningful input? (simply place the forum address before the slash to get the link)

/search/874/

Or this?

/search/881/

- Admittedly making more of an 'effort' but not-exactly engaging or relevant or really what you'd call 'organic'. - With (to my experienced eyes) many of the hallmarks of a 'professional spammer' working away in some god-forsaken corner of the developing world, infiltrating various western forums in order to spam them. - People happy to 'earn' a fraction of a penny per post and a few pence per link

Earlier on (I can't be bothered finding it now) I saw posts from a profile where the picture appeared to be of a very young girl - banging on about online dating etc. - Seedy.

Conversely - it's quite comical to see names of people that I know to have been members of the original 'SBF' forum, and whose registrations will be well over a decade old - described as 'new members'. That and barely-touched conversations from a decade ago popping up in "what's new"!

...You need to ask why they are no longer active! What 'drove them off' or simply left them cold?

The demise of the original SBF was (in my view and experience of it at the time) was brought about by pandering to the 'traffic at any cost' agenda. 'Contentious', frank and legitimate conversation was eschewed in favour of 'black noise' - pointless waffle, snake-oil selling, 'buy my pie in the sky' twaddles with dissent - especially rational dissent, discouraged and even censored.

This is of course the same technique used by the likes of FaceBook, LinkedIn et al. - the difference being that (even from the outset) these were 'high ticket' projects that could afford to 'hack-off' legitimate people prepared to 'call out the naked emperors' and talk sense - in favour of the 'corporate sheep', ignorant and rudderless and general rabble... The 'raw traffic' data is what they use to sell (largely mis-targeted; despite the claims) advertising space.

- Quantity not quality ; and that simply doesn't work in any legitimate niche business.

So what's happened since? SBF was 'sold on' a few years ago and at its last iteration was left somewhat nebulous and directionless. The renaming (as is) was a terrible idea, further undermining its credibility. And now? It needs managing... a name change (try British Business Forum - as Britain will survive the UK no matter what happens - or UKSME) some proper stewardship and perhaps a little coherent marketing.

LinkedIn and its ilk are in their dying days... not used by serious business people except as disingenuous, managed 'social presence' . UKBF (the real one) is a bit stuck in the mud, cliquey-claquey and hardly worthy of effort... The vast majority of businesses in the UK are micro/SME; there is little or no credible representation for them online. - There's your gap!

Work to it, don't work to it; doesn't matter to me personally... it's just rather sad to see the old place in the state it's in. ☹