By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

The best time to send emails

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I dont know how many people on here do some form of email marketing but what do you all think is the best time to send both B2B and B2C. You probably all answer emails on a daily basis but what times of the day do you think you give more attention to emails etc.

I've always worked on the premise in B2B that Monday and Friday were not a good idea as people have other priorities at the start and end of each week. It also seems to make sense to me to send B2B emails during business hours and maybe around lunchtime when people do tend to browse the net and catch up on emails.

On the B2C side it relly stumped me for ages until I eventually tested sending over the weekend which was much more successful.

What do you think of the above does it make sense or do you have your own times etc that work for you ? :)

Brian McIntosh

That's an interesting point . I don't usually send "cold" emails but I would have thought during the week would have been more successful than at the weekend. I get far more hits on my website during the week, probably because people at work are having a surf, than at weekends. For me weekends are usually dead as far as hits go which would say to me people are doing other things with their time rather than sitting in front of a computer. Maybe it's something else I need to look into? Does it ever end?

Last edited by a moderator:
TomB

TomB

At my other job we have a mailin glist of arond 1800 people that we send fortnightly bulletins. We've recently been trying them out on Thursday around 2pm ish.

however i've found that a Tuesday is the best day.

A good example was a email we sent out about a trainers forum. It went out about 2pm on the Tuesday to 1800 people. We were thinking we would be lucky to get around 10 responses to it and were looking for 20 people to fill the session.

by the time i had finished work on the thursday we had had over 40 people booked on the course and about another 20 emails.

All in all i think we have had around 75 response that email. Its only a 4.5% return on the email but is not bad return to be honest.

T

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

Yes, Tuesday afternoon just after lunchtime is the time I find that people are more repsonsive to my email newsletter.

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

There maybe is some truth in this Brian and it's something I may test. If you think about it people are winding down to the weekend and are maybe a bit more receptive to opening a few emails that gets them five minutes closer to finishing for the weekend. On the other hand I bet more than a few people are running around trying to get everything ties up for the weekend (can you tell thats me :p).

Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

I don't know about the psychology behind it but I did open them.
Okay, but why did you open them....? What it something in the headline? Or did you know the company fairly well?

Gordon
PLC

T

Tirfuir

I use "Constant Contact" if sending out an email to more than 5 people in the "to" box. I also send them out to be delivered when possible at 3.30pm. Constant Contact is great for checking when someone opened the email, and also if they forwarded it on to someone else - though the forward email is not shown. Downside of Constant Contact is that it shows times opened as "EDT" as it is an American product.

Idea15

Idea15

The official take on this question from Constant Contact is:

There is no one right answer to this question because it depends on your industry and the types of contacts on your list. Tuesday through Thursday were considered to be the best performing days for quite some time, however, new surveys indicate Monday may be the new favorite. As far as time of day goes, some studies now show that, because the volume of email sent is highest between 10am and 2pm, your emails may have a greater chance of being seen from 8am - 10am or 4pm - 6pm.

To find out what works best with your industry and contact list, we recommend that you make a note of the day of week and time of day that you send your emails and compare the open rates. Happy Mailing!

<shameless plug>If anyone is interested in e-newsletters, I am a Constant Contact business partner and will be happy to speak with you about how easy and cost-effective it is to get started...let's just not talk this week. ;-)
</shamelessplug>