By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

The Apprentice 2008

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Yes love it or loathe it The Apprentice is back on our screens next week for another series. I'm sure Mr Sugar will be his usual charming self :D You can read more about it below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/apprentice/

I thought I would start this thread so we can have a bitch about the contestants and also so that we can comment on each week as another one bites the dust. Looking forward to hearing all the comments and hopefully this becomes a really entertaining and of course educational thread. :)

DavidN

I dont really see what all the fuss is with this program (maybe i'm getting old). I dont understand why anybody entrepreneurial would even find it interesting. It's not as if you're getting to run a company and make untold millions. You are essentially an employee, what's entrepreneurial about that!

Dave

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Start tonight folks at 9pm on BBC one. Followed by You're fired! on BBC Two at 10pm.

:)

Brian

I managed to get home in time to watch this last night. How much of a twat was that guy Nicholas?

I think he had a valid point in that it was very clear that a split is emerging very quickly in the boys team and it will be interesting to see how that develops. Probably be a few weeks yet before anyone starts to stick out so no predictions from me this soon.

I think both teams weren't very impressive in terms of the returns they brought in. I think Sir Alan fired the right guy, he wouldn't fit in at all.

Brian

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Well I have to say I think Sir Alan sacked the wrong person this week. It was obvious that Jenni should have went :p

Interesting from Brian's comments above that the boys team seemed to gel this week and were focussed on winning the task. I had to laugh when the woment tried to get

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

An interesting episode tonight I have to say. The girls trouncing the boys at a pub events task. From the excerpts it's looking like the teams will mix next week so boys and girls on each side.

Having been in catering myself it was obvious fairly quickly that the boys would lose this task, failing to keep on top of their costs being their downfall. Was a bit of a no-brainer to sack the project manager Ian as he didn't control the task at all.

Interesting comments made by Sir Alan towards Simon when he said he thought he shouldn't have been brought into the boardroom. Maybe it's too early but my early instinct tells me Simon may go quite far in this so watch this space.....

Greg Findley

Greg Findley

Looks like a good episode this evening judging by the preview clips on the BBC mini site, yes I am an addict!! :) Will be interesting to how the characters change and who takes control now the teams are mixed up a bit.

stugster

stugster

Verified Member
I watched it for the first time last week and I have to say, I'm hooked! Will definitely be watching it tonight! :)

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I think I may sticky this thread until the Apprentice runs it's course. Good idea ?

:)

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Well bang goes my first prediction! I think as soon as the task started it started to feel like Simon would struggle. Fair comment he was out of his depth!

While one team made a profit and the other a loss I was amazed that the return wasn't much more. I think it's fair to say that Lucinda aint gonna last much longer, she's looking like a cat in the headlights and it will only be a matter of time.

Is it only me or can comparisons be made between Claire and the not to be forgotten Ruth Badger. I think she's got to tread carefully as her mouth may get her the sack. If she can control this then I think she could go far.

Should I hasten another prediction and say I think the winner this year will be female!

Next weeks looks like an Ice Cream task which looks like fun. Are you also noticing that every week it's all been about who brings back the most money.

Greg Findley

Greg Findley

Yes I think so :)

So what did everyone think of tonights episode?? I thought Simon could have saved himself in the boardroom, if he had kept quiet during Sir Alan's rant at Alex and Clare he might have got away with it, but instead he came in with 'I made people smile... and could have made a lot of money' not great things to say when you've just lost Sir Alan's money!! Disappointed he fired Simon as I think he would have been good to watch in the later rounds, think Clare should have gone tonight!

Who do you think should have been fired tonight?

Last edited by a moderator:
stugster

stugster

Verified Member
I'm a bit sceptical about how much of the programme is actually made-up for telly. I mean, come on, 3 hours because of a computer problem? Should have phoned Easy PC Scotland!

Greg Findley

Greg Findley

I'm a bit sceptical about how much of the programme is actually made-up for telly.
Sir Alan said just before the launch of the new series that it fails to get across his actual personality in the episodes, as he apparently has a lot of fun banter with the contestants, but I guess the BBC need to portray him as the 'YOU'RE FIRED' guy to get the viewers.

I'm a bit sceptical about how much of the programme is actually made-up for telly. I mean, come on, 3 hours because of a computer problem? Should have phoned Easy PC Scotland!
Obviously none of them have the wit to do that.... :D

C'mon folks; is anybody here SERIOUSLY in any doubt that it's just car crash tellly? C'mon; it's great fun and all that but....

What kind of 'business brain' wouldn't be sharp enough to keep track of which order belonged to which client???? And didn't I catch the tail end of an episode where they were trying to flog fish in a LAWYERS office (and having the p!$$ taken out them in the process) .....A opposed to marching into the nearest sweatshop and announcin' tae aw ra wumman "who wahnts sum nice fresh fish furr yer mans tea?'

Most of these people are actually pretty symptomatic of what's WRONG with British management today... They've got their heads stuck so far up their own 'annular output ports' obsessing about statistics and body language and marketing strategies that they've never developed some good old fashioned common sense!

:D:D:D

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Matt,

I think I agree that most people take it with a pinch of salt anyway but I still think there are lessons to be learned from programmes like this that can be taken into your own business. I dont find it particularly entrepreneurial as after all Sir Alan is looking for an employee who'll do as he/she is told.

It is interesting to see how they set about tasks etc and also how the personalities clash and also I guess how people deal and cope in certain situations. I think it's certainly one of the better programmes on the tv at present.

admin

admin

I agree with most of what you are saying but surely Mr Sugar wouldn't be putting his credibility on the line by promoting "car crash telly". I think in both the last two series he's picked the right winning candidate but I also take on board that both of them no longer work for Sir Alan.

I think for many people on it is a way of raising their own profile and the object of it isn't to win. I also agree Matt the corporate world is full of back scratchers eager to climb the corporate ladder so to speak.

Alot of what is said is bravado and some of them do over play it a bit. I still think there are some fundamental lessons coming through, this weeks being that front and back ends need to speak to each other in order for the full chain to work together, the catering task was all about organisation and planning, you simply cant do what these people did and expect to win.

As I said earlier i'm sure most people take it with a pinch of salt but I certainly see some value in it.

Alan Sugar's entire career is built on 'low ticket', pile it high, 'give the people what they want' products....

The audio systems they sold in the late 70's to mid-80's for instance were complete and utter junk. But they met many a need; occupied many a teenage bedroom. (destroyed many a record collection but hey!)

Likewise the early PC's like the 1640; Pile of crap! But it worked for long enough to get the job done and opened up the PC market..... Same with their satellite receivers; These in fact verged on being fire hazards they were so badly made...

So; credibility? Well he doesn't HAVE a reputation for quality products. He has a reputation for knowing what the market wants and meeting the immediate need. And that's not necessarily 'quality'... ALL television programmes are made to a some extent 'populist' agenda; just as have been most of Sugar's products... It's at the heart of his business....

Now; I'm not suggesting that either Amstrad's products or the show are in any way 'bad' value. They're cheap, a bit nasty, but you gets what you pays for....

An Amstrad 'HiFi' while meeting the legal specifications that allow it to be sold as such isn't REALLY a HiFi.... At least not in the sense of being a high quality audio product... The point being that this Amstrad selection process; this 'piled high and sold cheap' business process.....

Well it serves a purpose; but it's of no substance.... Enjoy it (I certainly do). But let's just remember it's mere sport....

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

Matt,

You make some great points that are hard to argue with. When the debating team starts on SBF I know who my first choice will be :p

You're too kind ... Wonder what fun and games next week's episode will bring? It's the mouthy bint who's head in on the line next...

Last edited by a moderator: