By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Testing Google Adsense

• Thread starter Scottish Business Owner
  • Start date
Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

You will probably notice a change to the ads on the side and top of the forums.

This is an experiment to see whether they can work for SBF.

If any one has any issues or queries then please contact me via PM or email.

:)

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

LOL! To be honest Google are pretty crap at serving ads that are actually contextually correct. I seen to many ads on the forums for diet pills etc that I could no longer stare at them.

I think we just need to focus on promoting small Scottish based businesses so we'll be making an announcement with regards to this over the coming weeks.

Canary Dwarf

Canary Dwarf

, you're so right to do that. I've used Adsense, and still do, but I think people are immune to them, just like they are to advertising in general.

I have ads on a news site and a charity site, but neither will make me rich. I believe that despite using a PPC model, these ads are far more effective as brand awareness tools.

Let's take Vodafone for example, they have been running flash ads for years, I've seen them here, I've seen them there, and despite being a big Vodafone fan, I have never clicked on one.

Of course, Vodafone probably only pay on clicks, so they're laughing.

It obviously works for Google on a grand scale, but I think even the ads from tradedoubler etc are a better solution as you can pick which ads are served. But their site is difficult to use and you have to jump through hoops to get the ads you want.

Local (or niche in your case) have always been difficult to sell because, despite being measureable, punters don't trust them and they is still confusion over sizing, positioning and terminology.

But I think that is about to change. I think we will see a phase where buyers will respond to relevancy rather than context. Whether the PPC (pay-per-click) model turns to a CPM (cost per mille) model remains to be seen.

How much are your ads by the way?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gouldie0

I think we just need to focus on promoting small Scottish based businesses so we'll be making an announcement with regards to this over the coming weeks.

Sounds very exciting ...................

Last edited by a moderator: