By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Testimonials in marketing...

• Thread starter Power Lunch Club
  • Start date
Power Lunch Club

Power Lunch Club

I was wondering what other folks views are....

I am a great believer in them. As long as they are results driven and not just stating what a nice service they had from a company. And they must have the person's full name and company....I think just having initials just make the things made up

Do other's use them in their marketing?

Gordon
PLC

Gordon N

Gordon N

I am an undecided on this one, although it is a bone of contention right now...

I have just agreed a contract with one customer, and am in talks with another about a potential project - both have asked for a testemonials script on their sites.

They asked my opinion on whether people rated them and believed them, but to be honest in a situation like this it comes down to what the customer wants, not what I think of them!

I will be watching the feedback in this thread with interest.

Regards,

Gordon

Scottish Business Owner

Scottish Business Owner

I have to agree with Gordon on this one without the persons proper name and contact details you do start to question the credibility of the testimonial although I myself have been in a situation where the privacy of the person giving the testimonial was the over-riding factor in limiting the information. I was however able to quantify various savings they made etc with the hope of restoring the credibility. I've always wondered if video testimonials would be any good and if people would actually see them as being more useful.

Rather than a testimonial why dont you maybe look at producing some case studies or white papers where you can show how you solved the problem etc, tis then means that you dont necessarily have to give proper names etc.

Thinking about Gordon's post above I think those details are a must in a B2B scenario but I do think there are situations in B2C where putting these details on your website could cause issues.

nothing does

nothing does

I really like testimonials, they give a clear opinion of a single person about the company in question.

mentioned white papers, again a great marketing tool and the last one I did for a client had a great testimonial on it. I think if you see them as part of a marketing tool and use them in conjunction with something else they work far harder for you.

I've got to agree that you need the full name of the person and company involved or as previously mentioned they could appear fabricated.

I have a few on my website but again I also have case studies and a portfolio and these elements together support each other for smarter marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

UKSMF

Testimonials have played a big part in the success of my busines and I am sure they will continue to.

They create a belief that you are able to deliver on what you say you can so I have to agree with some of the above.

I think they are a very good tool to help you close business

Regards

Dave

Gordon N

Gordon N

I've always wondered if video testimonials would be any good and if people would actually see them as being more useful.
Interesting idea, I am sure we have got the right people here on SBF already to put together a trial for this kind of thing!

Rather than a testimonial why dont you maybe look at producing some case studies or white papers ...
It's funny you should mention this. Following some further study on SEO I am in the process of rebuilding my own website, I have already decided to put a 'case study' together for non-design clients as these obviously cannot be put in a portfolio and I am not a big fan of 'client list' pages. I will where possible get the clients feedback on the service and write that into the case study.

Regards,

Gordon

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking