By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Sudden large rate increase

M

Mariusz2904

Hello guys
I wonder if someone here could help me with an advice as I have no idea what I should or what I can do. I’m running a car repair business in Northampton which is contained in two buildings. The garage been in this place for just over 10 years. I took over the business 4 years ago. Two years ago landlords rise the rent by about 20% and my cost of rent has jumped from £2500/month to painful £3150. Now they replaced the site Menager and last week I received an email from them with renewal notice as the rent is based on a yearly renewed contract and renewal is due on 1st June. The renewal price has shocked me as it has nothing to do with national early increase rate and the price increases by 30%. They now want me to pay them £4150! I can’t believe it. Within 4 years of my career in here my rent will almost double. I don’t know what to do and how to react to this. Moving the business elsewhere isn’t really a good option considering the type of business it is not to mention the cost of this. Is there any legal way I can battle unfair landlords? How much time they would have to give me to move the business if I don’t accept the price and for example continue paying what I was paying so far. Don’t know if it matters but we employ 5 people. Is there any law regulating this sort of things giving protecting tenants from from this kind of unfair tactics? Any advise would be much appreciated as I really don’t know what to do.
Regards