By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Social Media - Linkedin

Scott Kinnear

Scott Kinnear

I wonder what peoples thoughts are on accepting connection requests, particularly If you are on LinkedIn?

I have been to quite a few networking events, I got fed-up of them, and stopped going. It feels like a cattle market to me. I enjoy making connections, but I have no time for false people, peoples behaviour comes over like 'Hi I'm your new friend, lets swap business cards and keep in touch'', and then when the event is over, you never hear from them again, even after sending an ice breaker email to the person, they have become too busy to answer.

LinkedIn - I love it as a platform - A platform to get insights on different business/career stories etc, and, possibly connecting with other professionals, who might see skills that can help them and in turn help you.
Before Christmas 2017, I had 30 connections, after Christmas I took it down to 7...! Why... Because 23 of them were full of their own self importance. I cant be bothered with this. it turns into cliques.

Imagine being at a networking event, and someone comes over and puts one of their business cards in your hand, says Hi, then moves on across the room and does the same with others. No introduction, no rapport, why would you want to call them? The same happens on LinkedIn, people send an invitation to connect, there is no message with it saying why they wish to connect, just an invite.
In my own experience - and it depends on what their role is, and if we might be able to help one another in some way, I will usually accept, they sent me an invitation, so perhaps once I accept they will send me a message to introduce themselves. Well I have had a couple of invitations to connect recently, one I refused, one I accepted.... and then disconnected from again, because i gave them a couple of days to send an introduction, nothing! To me, it is like the person at the networking event putting their card in your hand then vanishing into space. whats the point in inviting someone to connect then not connecting?
Whats more, it makes it harder for the next person to get their invitation accepted. Some people who I think are genuine, will send an introduction with their invite, some people send the invite and wait and until you accept then introduce themselves, others are just trying to build numbers of connections without building on the connection.

Currently I have 6 'Quality' connections who do check in from time to time, perhaps 1 or 2 check in on the other platforms Twitter/Facebook/Instagram.

I would love to see other thoughts on making connections through social media. :)

MarkB

MarkB

Staff member
I totally agree - if you can find a hand full of good leads then you are doing well. The amount of people that pop up as friends of friends, etc is crazy as I have never seen 99% of them before. The comparison of walking into a meeting, giving your card out and then moving to the next person, that is exactly what some areas of LinkedIn feel like. However, if you can create/join an active group in an area in which you have interest then there is potential to make some great contacts and get informed assistance and advice.

In summary, worth doing but be selective and dont waste your time with time wasters.

Scott Kinnear

Scott Kinnear

Good response Mark.

Its is a strange thing networking. it can be good, or it can be very false. :rolleyes:

MarkB

MarkB

Staff member
Hi Scott,

Yes, in my experience it can take a long time to seperate the serial networkers from those who actually offer some value :)

Wills

Wills

I use LinkedIn as a research tool, my connections are mainly companies I have or currently work with or those would like to work with I rarely accept invitations to connect from outside of my interests, LinkedIn isn't the best place for business it might be a recruiters paradise.

Scott Kinnear

Scott Kinnear

Hi Wills, I think Networking as a whole, is a hit or a miss. my connections on LinkedIn have been with me for years, a few of them I am connected across different social media platforms.

Wills

Wills

Definitely agree on the networking being a hit or miss, social media gives us a much wider and possibly better focused approach to both marketing, networking and in my business collaboration opportunities.