By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Small business server, do you use it?

computer storm

computer storm

Well Suart,

As the post was about SBS I was only mentioning that, and yes all servers do centralize your office. But as Brian just wanted to know in english I just put what i knew, so yes linux does do almost the same thing.
The other bit yes you can install small business server 2003 and 2008 by yourself is you have some knowledge of computers. As I have had customer install it them selves and only called me out when they had a problem that they didnt know how to fix. Or if they needed advanced configuration needed doing for say exchange using TLS or Sharepoint and ISA server.

If you wanted any advanced configuring on SBS 2003 or 2008 then yes your would ask people like us to do it.

G

GarryHeavens

MS have released 'Windows Hyper-V Server' as a free download. This is a base
installation which only allows features relating to virtualisation. SBS08 is
fully supported in a virtual environment.

Either you need one Windows Server license (SBS) and you run it physically
on the box (OK, people discuss virtualisation as a DR strategy, validly) or
you need at least one additional server license and in Server 08 you get
'1+1 rights' so that the one license can be used as both host (only roles
supporting virtualisation) and a full implementation, or you use WHVS for
the host.

SBS has never been a desirable virtualisation host, it's doing enough
already.

Latest Posts