By using Apprenticeforums services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

• Join our UK Small business Forum

Helping business owners with every day advice, tips and discussions with likeminded business owners. Become apart of a community surrounded by level headed business folk from around the UK

Join us!

Small Business It & Website Support & Dev

Steven

Steven

Hi folks,

I am involved in 2 of my own online businesses and help run another 2 online.
I have been involved in IT at various levels for over 2 years, and last couple of years I thought I would get out and use my skills for small business, rather than sticking with corporate IT, which got really boring.

I have been building websites with wordpress for around 7 years, i have helped a few companies get online and now looking to help many more.

My other IT business is Tech support for small business, I have an online helpdesk where clients can log faults etc (this is just new and developing.

So if you are looking for honest IT support and website developmen, give me a shout for a chat.

Thanks for reading
Steven

selfemployed

selfemployed

I would be interested to hear more about how you built your business when moving away from corporate IT - was it a smooth move?

Steven

Steven

No, and its still going on.
I gained so much valuable experience, of not just how to do things, but also, how not to..
I quickly learned the hard way, that I may have the tech skills required, but I was now also, the HR, sales, marketing and support person.
I am a one man band, that outsources small jobs when required, thats one thing I must impress on people, we can't do everything and trying to will eat you alive, outsource what you can.

I am still in the building phase (when are we never) , its hard work, moving from a wage to no wage is never easy lol, but its not about the journey, its the destination that counts here. I would far rather use my skills to help people and small businesses than large corps.

I still dip my toe in now and then a month contract here and there, but this will stop once I get fully motoring.

Plus I love learning, it's a huge curve and any help or tips are more than welcome.

MarkB

MarkB

Staff member
I totally agree @Steven it is a massive learning curve and I have found that the moment you feel "settled" is the moment something happens and you are fighting for survival again. In a bizarre way I am glad of the mistakes I have made because I have learned from them. Like you I made the mistake of trying to do everything for myself - jack of all trades, master of none - when I should have outsourced the stuff I found difficult or was slow at doing. Lets say an improvement to your website earns you an extra £200 a month and it costs £200 to get a third party to do the job, its a non brainer, why (like I have) take months to do it myself and lose money in the real world.

Latest Posts

Associates

Large Scale Plastic Moulding
Dexion Pallet Racking